turn signal cancel switch not working

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
walker70
Motorcycle: 1986 Honda Goldwing Aspencade

turn signal cancel switch not working

Post by walker70 »

Hi,have got another gremlin,noticed that the turn signals don't shut off like they need to,they were working perfectly a week ago,can anyone tell me how to check for a bad switch,I can turn the signals on but have to push the button to turn them off. :D

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: turn signal cancel switch not working

Post by virgilmobile »

First a question..Is your speedometer working?
The turn signal cancler unit is triggered off by 4 possible things...Speed pulses from the spedo,fork angle sensor,time elapsed or the cancel push button.
Look for the speed pulses first with your volt meter.If its working,replace the unit.

virgilmobile
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Post by virgilmobile »

Here's the schematic too.

walker70

Post by walker70 »

When I drove it a few days ago the speedo was working and I don't see any connections that are loose,but I was wondering if it was because my audio system has been giving me a fit with engine noise thru the speakers and other switches such as cd buttons ect. :(

virgilmobile
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Post by virgilmobile »

Did the radio problem start at the same time as the cancel problem.They could be related.The spedo pulses feed both.
Have you tried it with the radio off?
A volt meter with the key on and attached to the pulse wire.(white/black).spin the front wheel...see if it does switch on and off.I'm guessing it should go from no volts to 5-12 volts as the wheel is turning.Unknown how many times per revolution for sure.

walker70

Post by walker70 »

I think it did but not sure the radio problem started a week or so back and only noticed the turn signal issue a day or so back,the radio issue may be my own fault because I was cleaning out the left pocket area and unhooked all the cords,thought I had everything hooked up properly but I have several plugs that are all red,they all look the same and I do not know the right way they go,I know one set of the plugs are for the filter but not sure how they go,thanks for your help,I am great with mechanical not so much electrical. :D

virgilmobile
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Post by virgilmobile »

Somewhere you should be able to find the radio wiring. Check the manuals section for radio installation info.

walker70

Post by walker70 »

Thanks,the only manuals I have are haynes and clymer but other than the wiring diagrams they say nothing about how the plugs are to go,but like I said I'm more mechanical than electrical,does the honda have more info???

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

PM sent regarding instructions.
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

walker70

Post by walker70 »

Thanks Rednaxs60,got the pdf files,have a question tho,I noticed this today,on the audio control there is a small wire in the center of the control,when it is hooked up that is when I get the engine noise thru the speakers and the turn signals won't cancel off,when I unhook the wire everything works fine,no noise thru the speakers and the turn signals cancel out,according to the pdf this wire goes to the speed sensor,now does this mean the audio control is shot or the speed sensor gone,all of this was working before fine I unplugged the cords to clean out the pocket,could I possibly have shorted one or the other. :D

walker70

Post by walker70 »

Not sure if this has anything to do with any of the previous gremlins with the audio or not but every once in a while when I turn the key to start and crank the bike up it makes a slight crackle after hitting the start button. :?:

walker70

Post by walker70 »

Not sure if this has anything to do with the audio noise but I found a loose connection on the starter relay and also my battery has died on me twice in a month so I will have that checked today.

walker70

Post by walker70 »

Man,this has been one of those times when I just want to kick something,now besides the noise I was having in the audio system it is now discharging the battery,I gave the battery a good charge all day,went to crank the bike and it fired up just fine but a few tries later just clicking at the starter relay,wonder if the stator may have been going all this time and causing the noise in the electrical system as well,am going to check it tomorrow,any input would be great. :?

walker70

Post by walker70 »

Hi again,changed out the starter and now the bike will crank up,so far the static at the starter button is noise free,now I wonder if the starter going bad and maybe shorting out is what was causing all the static and noise thru the radio also,anyone here know if this is possible,I know the electrical setup on these bikes is different than any other bike I have owned. :D

walker70

Post by walker70 »

Ok,this is what I found out,all the audio wiring is right now but I didn't notice this until today,got the bike out and drove it around a bit and realized that as I speed up the noise is louder thru the speakers then when I slow down it is almost gone,so I unhooked the wire on the auto volume control in the photo here and the noise goes away,hook it back up it's there again,seems to be running like an audible speedometer cause it goes up or down with the reading on the regular speedometer,bad sensor maybe???, by the way I did a bad thing today,this is the second time I have dropped my bike only this time I got my foot caught and now have a nice bruised ankle,also sorry for being such a pain about this problem :(

walker70

Post by walker70 »

Me again,finally tracked the problem,it seems the audio volume control has gone bad,I bypassed it as one of the guys from Sierra Electronics said to do and now everything seems to be working properly,only thing that still happens is when I press the button for the cb radio I get a momentary click thru and slight hum from the speakers,but I think that was there already,not like I use the cb anyway. :D