tape deck

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
fred1diver
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200 aspencade

tape deck

Post by fred1diver »

hey everyone, just got to testing the radio on my wing and I found out the tape deck does not engage, when I press the button to switch from the radio to the deck it stays on the radio, has anyone else had this problem, if so how do you fix it?

fred1diver

Re: tape deck

Post by fred1diver »

ok, so I figured out what the problem is, the switch to switch from radio to tape is not working properly, if I press it hard enough and I hold it it plays the tape, but if I let go, is goes back to the radio

what does the AMB button do???

fred1diver

Post by fred1diver »

contact cleaner was my friend, the switch now works perfectly, now I'm still just wondering what the AMB button does :?: :?

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Post by SilverDave »

" In the old days " there were several types of tape material.. metal, Chromium, etc . These materials had different types of recording equalization , and many circuits , like " Dolby" were designed to make the playback to be more true to the original sound .

The "Amb" button is, IMHO , like the speed -volume or treble-bass knobs ... the effect is so small ( less than 5 db ) that you have to be paying strict attention to notice any effect .... a great idea, but almost not worth it .

The Ambience button adds a concert hall ambience to just cassette tape playback only .. a sort of faint echo, as if the concert was in a bigger room ..

Importantly , It has no effect on the intercom/CB/AM/FM at all ..

...... and although I still can find some old tapes , depending on the song , I notice very little effect on most of the songs I personally play .

Probably " Trucking Music" , C & W , and rock and roll are not affected by adding this effect ... ... LOL

SilverDave