GL1200 electrical and swingarm issues

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
dmc8163
Motorcycle: 1987 Honda GL1200 Goldwing Aspencade

GL1200 electrical and swingarm issues

Post by dmc8163 »

Today I completed a relative simple repair of replacing the rear rotor on my GL 1200 Asp. To my dismay two serious problem. Neither of which I have an explanation.

1) I put the axle in with the spacers in the correct position and torqued the axle nut. While I did this I noticed the rear tire seemed to be moving side to side. I checked and sure enough the is at least a 1/4" to 1/2" side to side play in the swing arm. I did not notice this problem when I pulled the wheel in the first place. Could I have caused this problem by replacing the rotor? My best guess is that my swing arm bearings are shot and I just didn't notice when I started the project. Are there other explanations for why a swing arm would move side to side?

2) When I switched on the ignition to start the bike it was totally dead. No dash lights, no nothing. How could this happen? I was worked on the rear tire! The battery is putting out 12.76 volts. I checked main fuse and it was fine. I checked the 30 amp fuse and it was fine. I did recall that while working on the bike I heard a "snap" at some point. I ignored it because I wasn't doing anything (I thought) to cause a short. Are there other fuses that I can check? What would cause such a complete failure in the electrical system?

Tough day. I thank you for your help. Dave

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: GL1200 electrical and swingarm issues

Post by WingAdmin »

You might want to first just check the torque of the swingarm pivot to make sure it's not loose.

As far as the electrical - you're going to need to trace the power. You started at the battery and got as far as the main fuse. Keep going, from there to the fuse block, to the ignition switch, etc. until you find the spot that doesn't have power. Now you have an idea where the problem lies.

dmc8163
Motorcycle: 1987 Honda GL1200 Goldwing Aspencade

Re: GL1200 electrical and swingarm issues

Post by dmc8163 »

Thank you for responding. It turned out that the swingarm nuts needed to be tightened to the proper torque. The electrical problem turned out to be an unusual but not unknown problem. The battery was dead. The multimeter showed it good at 12.6 volts. But put on a probe and the battery briefly lit the probe and then went off. As I said, a rare but not unknown problem. Thank you very much for responding. dmc8163