Bike wont start... 1985 Aspencade

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
tank4300
Motorcycle: 1985 Gl1200 Aspencade

Bike wont start... 1985 Aspencade

Post by tank4300 »

Hi all,
I just bought my first Gl1200 5 days ago. Rode about 30 miles and it ran great. Got it home and cranked up beautifully several times. Someone had rigged a Midland cb to the intercom and strapped it to the handlebars with all the wires in the open and tucked under the left pocket. They had also stuck and after market stereo in the hole with folded paper to hold in in ( Jerry rigged ). The person gave me the original radio and I plan on buying an OEM cb to put in there. Anyway....... I took the bike apart Fasle tank, side covers, lower cowl speakers out, seat off and the battery out. I proceded to undo all the spliced wires they had for the after market stuff. I noticed the stator wires had been soldered and did away with the plug which was good. and I think they did away with the dog bone because there is an inline fuse attached to the battery with a very heavy new cable. There is another inline fuse on the battery that goes to a reply that is laying loose under the false tank that is plugged into 2 posts on the steering neck and 2 old plugs stting there unplugged then the rest of the wire continues on down the neck and under behind the radiator. I said all this to maybe give you a picture of some of the stuff there. I did pull off one of the plug wires which had greese all around the connection and put it back. At first when I tried to recrank it I had to leave the choke on but when you hit the throttle it sputtered like it had no power at all. Now it wont crank at all. I hate when I do stupid stuff :-) . Any help I can get will be much appreciated. I also forgot to add that when I did crank it back up the electronic tach stayed on 0 the whole time.

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Bike wont start... 1985 Aspencade

Post by virgilmobile »

It sounds like the loose relays were installed to provide switched battery power to the coils.This mod is intended to keep the coils at full battery power as the original wiring can have some voltage drop and weak spark as a result.The "no tach function" is a good indicator that the coils don't have volts.
Put it back with the relay mod to restore volts.

tank4300

Post by tank4300 »

Thanks for the reply. I didnt change it I was just trying to figure out what it was. Are the coils located back behind the radiator ? Sorry for the question. I'm still waiting for my Clymer book to come in the mail. I may have pulled on it too much trying to figure out where it went. I will surely check those.

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Post by virgilmobile »

There under the shelter/air cleaner area.Here's a couple of pix that may help.If it has a relay power mod,expect it to be tied into a black/white trace wire.Its switched power for the coils.This wire may be unhooked from the coils and used to operate a relay.The relay would switch battery power back to the wire feeding the coils.

tank4300

Post by tank4300 »

Ok here's what I found. Like you said he ran a hot wire to the relay two wires from the relay go to the prongs of the coils. I checked both of those and they get about 11 volts. another wire goes and joins the old wire and travels under the coils somewhere I cant see where unless I pull the radiator too. But where it plugs into the old wire I checked it and it gets about 11 volts also. So then I pulled all 4 plugs to see if they were firing. The back two are getting no fire the front two were firing nicely. I saw a schematic earlier that showed the back two plugs ran on one coil and the front two on another. Seems like a bad coil but how could I have hurt the coil by just removing the after market radio and the jacked up CB on the handle bars ? And why when it did crank at first was the tach staying at zero. Say I did damage the coil somehow. Would that make the tach not work . Thanks

tank4300

Post by tank4300 »

Thanks so much for the help. I found my problem. I had knocked one of the inside coil wires off !! Woo hoo. Plugged it in and it fired right up.....