Front brake power

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
bbroj
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Aspencade. 2012 Concours1400

Front brake power

Post by bbroj »

I know this subject has been covered in some depth, and I have read many posts, but I still have a question. After rebuilding nearly the entire left front brake system on my '84 Aspy, it still feels weak. I have good lever feel after replacing the MC, adding SS brake line and rebuilding the caliper (twice), I even "resurfaced" the rotor by scuffing it with a biscuit grinder. The bike nose dives and slows when using the hand lever only, but nothing near impending lockup as I would expect. I also swapped pads from one side to the other to see if that was the difference, as before it became mine the right pads were replaced with new, but not the left. They look like very different materials, but this didn't help either. How well should this bike stop using the Hand lever only?

Last edited by bbroj on Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

brianinpa
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Standard
1987 GL1200 Interstate

Re: Front brake power

Post by brianinpa »

You are trying to stop a lot of weight with only one rotor. I normally only use the front brake lever and it takes quite a bit more on the 1200 than it did on my 1100 to get the bike stopped. If I want to stop in a hurry, I need to get the other two rotors involved. That's the brawback of the linked brake system.
Brian

If you aren't having fun doing it, find something else to do.

bbroj

Post by bbroj »

Thanks, Brian. That's kind of what I'm looking for, just a clue on how far I should chase this, not that there's much left to do! I realize that this is a heavy bike and stopping it with a single rotor will never be very efficient, but I did expect the rotor to be able to lock, even if only skidding and not really stopping the bike effectively.

geraldm
Motorcycle: 86 gl1200 Aspencade

Post by geraldm »

your probably better off with the brake using the lever only not locking . when lockup occurs your stopping ability goes out the window , you loose all control . the bike should be stopped with foot brake under most conditions or a ĉombination of both pedal and hand brake .the most likely reason for two different looking front pads is because the front brake is or was used most all the time , so one is wore out and the other is still looking good but probably polished up .

bbroj

Post by bbroj »

Gerald, Thanks. I realize locking the front brake is never what you want, it just seemed to me with a dual piston caliper and nearly all new components it should have the ability to lock the wheel, even with just a single disc. The bike seems to stop just fine when using the front and rear together, but as this is to be a two-up ride for the wife and I, I want all the braking power I can get. All of my tests to this point have been in first and second gear in my cul-de-sac. I want to make sure it's right before hurling my wife and myself down the highway at 70mph that I can stop the whole package effectively.

geraldm
Motorcycle: 86 gl1200 Aspencade

Post by geraldm »

yup for sure, ride safe, hope you enjoy the miles ahead .

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Post by SilverDave »

If you really want the "throw-yourself-at-the-windshield " braking you might try sintered metal pads :

https://fortnine.ca/en/ebc-double-h-sintered-brake-pads

I had a set of these metal pads on my 1200 front for about a year, and while they stopped really well...
.... after a year my rotor ( wear limits 9.00 mm to 10.00 mm ) had worn down to 8.1 mm and had NO groves visible on either side.

Thats a safety item , IMHO, when rotor is so thin . I went back to EBC organic ( and a newer rotor )

SilverDave

bbroj

Post by bbroj »

Thanks Dave. I'm not sure what I have for pads, but one set looks metallic and the other looks organic. Neither made a significant difference in stopping power. With that said, I do realize that each set was mated to one rotor and swapped to the other, after I had "de-glazed" them with a biscuit grinder, so none are properly seated. I've decided I have enough stopping power to move forward with getting the bike new tires and on the road for a few local rides. Hopefully the pads will seat and stopping performance will improve.