Heeeeelllllpppp

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
SILVEREAGLE355
Motorcycle: 1985 Honda Goldwing 1200 Limited Edition

Heeeeelllllpppp

Post by SILVEREAGLE355 »

I would like to find someone in Florida that specializes in Goldwings and more specifically the electrical system because something keeps draining the battery. I'm not asking for charity but would like the price if repair to be reasonable, and I'm willing to help to bring the price a bit down. I'm a Disabled American Veteran with low income and opened heart surgery with double bypass and aortic valve replacement but I'm willing to help. I don't know if when the prior owner changed from stator to alternator he wired something wrong that would cause the drainage of the power.
The next thing is the air shocks rebuilt or air compressor checked because the air shocks won't hold air.
PLEASE IM WILLING TO PAY AND HELP TO BRING DOWN THE COST A BIT AND IM NOT ASKING FOR A CHARITY, I JUST WANT TO FEEL THE FREEDOM AGAIN AND THE AIR IN MY FACE RIDING DOWN THE HIGHWAY, BEFORE ITS TOO LATE AND CANT RIDE ANYMORE OR PASS ON.

SILVEREAGLE

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade
183K Miles
2017 - GL1800 Audio Comfort
10K Miles

Re: Heeeeelllllpppp

Post by MikeB »

You really need to reach out to the GWRRA or GWTA community in your area. These folks love to help out. I can't count the number of people we have helped in my local area that reached us through our GWRRA Chapter. Currently, we are helping a previous member get his 1984 GL1200 back on the road. Brake problems, coolant and oil changes, tire changes, electrical issues are all being worked on.

Find a chapter near you. I guarantee they will help out.

Here is the Orlando Chapter website. http://fl1h2.com/
Contact the CD (Chapter Director) or any one of the members and see if you can get some help.
You will notice that they meet at the Perkins Restaurant, 6425 University Blvd.Winter Park, FL on the first Saturday of the month for dinner at 5:00 pm.
MikeB
1998 - GL1500 w/184,500 miles ~ 2017 - GL1800 w/13000 miles
USAF Avionics Communications Tech - 18 Years / Flight Engineer C-130E - C-141B - 6 Years. Retired.
Industrial Maintenance Tech - 22 years.
Retired in Tacoma, WA

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Post by SilverDave »

A Big +1 on Mikes GWRRA comments .. Almost all present GL1800 Wing owners once owned a GL1200... and in my case they LOVE offering help and advice on my GL1200...

Its a much simpler machine than their present fuel injected 1800's and since they cannot do much on their own machine ... They love to help.

They also are a fantastic resource of best prices on local tires, used parts, aftermarket parts .... and often have 1200 parts in their garage , left over from when they owned a GL1200.

LOL... in my case , I have been given 3 panasonic radios, and a pair of leather chaps since March .

Give them a try ..

Happy repeating ! ... and happy riding soon .

SilverDave

sportsfreaked
Motorcycle: 1981 Honda Goldwing Interstate GL1100I
1985 Honda Goldwing Limited Edition gl1200

Post by sportsfreaked »

First thanks for your service and sacrifice to this nation. I would just ditto what has been suggested. I would also suggest you reach out to the PGR (Patriot Guard Riders) in your area as they may have people that can help. I'm a PGR member here and have helped vets with their rides as well. Best of luck.
Thanks to all who answer and help. It is greatly appreciated!
Ed

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Post by harvey01 »

I realize that Greg specializes in the GL1800 but he might make a exception or at least offer an alternative to work on your bikes. Website is: justwings.com
and you can call at: 813) 416-8600

He has never done any work for me as he is way down there in Florida.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

SILVEREAGLE355

Post by SILVEREAGLE355 »

My apologies to all for the late reply. I WANT TO THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR ADVICES AND SUGGESTIONS WHICH I JUST READ FROM:
MIKE
SILVERDAVE
HARVEY01
SPORTSFREAKED
ED
HARVEY
I TRULY APPRECIATE YOUR RESPONSES AND PROMISE TO FOLLOW UP ON THEM, AND KEEP YOU INFORMED ON THE PROGRESS.
GOD BLESS YOU ALL
AND GOD BLESS AMERICA.

ARMANDO
SILVEREAGLE

85AspencadeLTD
Motorcycle: 1985 Honda XL350R
1985 Aspencade LTD

Post by 85AspencadeLTD »

Silvereagle355, sorry for the late response but only seeing this now. Did you ever figure out the battery draining problem?
I had something similar; intermittent and it would completely drain the battery overnight. It turned out to be the vanity light in the trunk. There is a flimsy metal tab that switches off the lamp when the lid is closed. Mine was bent down, probably by stuffing my helmet in and hitting the tab. You can easily bend the tab back up. As you close the lid, you should be able to hear a click with the lid about 1/2" before fully closed, which means the light will then be off.

(Of course it could also be the typical stator problem for the GL1200's; semi-burned out stator, due to overheated connector.)

Paul

SILVEREAGLE355

Post by SILVEREAGLE355 »

Paul, thank you for the heads-up on the vanity switch and no I have not been able to do anything due to in and out of hospital, but will definitely look into that. Thank you and God Bless.
Armando

SILVEREAGLE