86 Goldwing Exhaust Header Repair

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
jameselindorff
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200I

86 Goldwing Exhaust Header Repair

Post by jameselindorff »

Hello again: Has anyone repaired their exhaust header outlet (into the muffler) pipes? What size pipe did you use? I don't have a caliper but it seems like 40mm is correct. Any tips. Thanks

jameselindorff
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200I

Re: 86 Goldwing Exhaust Header Repair

Post by jameselindorff »

I remember when you could go to the parts store and they knew what you were talking about. Times have changed and if doesn't come in a box you seem to be out of luck. I started working on foreign cars @ 1965. I'm too old school and I already let this sit too long. 40mm is 1.57 something inches. I got a 1.5" inside diameter pipe connector from O'Rielly auto parts. The pipe OD wall took up the slack and a Honda oem muffler gasket/seal fits it nicely. I chopped off the damaged pipe with a dremel tool disk. I cleaned up the inside of the head pipe so that I could see what I was doing in there. I dressed down the remaining original pipe material that was @ 1/4" deep into the head pipe with a dermel metal grinding tip . (Die grinder would have been nice. I'm working "pepper tree" because my tools were stolen 2 years ago) I did this touch and go until I had a tight fit. I can tap it into the head pipe for the correct enough depth. Probably gonna get a nicer pipe connector. Gonna try to insert pics. The no-sweat job took @ 1 hour and was much easier than a valve job on a V12 Jaguar. Now I need to get it welded. Hopefully the muffler shop guy knows how to weld. Best wishes.
Attachments