How much is too much?

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
rookiebiker
Motorcycle: 1986 Honda GL12SEi Aspencade

How much is too much?

Post by rookiebiker »

In 1987, my dad bought a 1986 Honda GL12SEI GOLDWING ASPENCADE. About 10 years later he converted it to a trike. He fell ill in 2002 and the bike has been sitting in his garage until I pulled it out a few months ago and trailered it to the mechanic. So far, I'm $600 in for a diagnostic, new plugs and battery, fuel system flush, and other labor, etc.... He now says the the fuel pump is bad. He says he can't find a used pump with a warranty and he's not even sure replacing the pump is all that it will need--might be fuel injectors. Need some advice, please. I feel like I'm getting in over my head and I'm not sure how much is too much to invest? The bike only has 52,000 miles on it.

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Re: How much is too much?

Post by Rednaxs60 »

The '86 SE-i is a great bike, I have the '85 Ltd fuel injected model that is almost identical to yours. The first thing you need is the manuals - OEM service manual, supplement and electrical trouble shooting. I have these in PDF format. Send me a PM with your email address if you would like copies, I use wetransfer for large files.

Next is to do some of the wrenching yourself. For the bike engine operation, I would do that myself. Lots of help here and on other forums.

The next is what is the mechanic basing his observations on. For the fuel system, I would change out the fuel filter first, I use a Beck Arnley 043-0897, slightly bigger than OEM but will fit in the bracket with some judicious modification. Check this forum for info to do this. Other options for the fuel filter are: Hastings GF159/Fram G3969/NAPA 3556

What is the mechanic basing his diagnosis on? Does the fuel pump work at all? It should start for a few seconds to pressurize the fuel system, then shut off. As soon as the bike starts the fuel pump comes on. I would have a fuel pressure test done - fuel pressure with the key on and bike not started approximately 34 to 38 PSI - fuel pressure bike started approximately 28 to 34. My bike has a Spectra SP1186 aftermarket fuel pump installed and pressures are 38 with key on, and 36 engine started. Working well.

As for a fuel pump, lots of options. Just about any early model fuel injected Civic/Prelude fuel pump from an auto wrecker will work. Many other imports use the same one as well. As for a warranty, these pumps do not fail that often. Take the original with you if it actually does not work and you will probably get a good replacement inexpensively.

New belts should be considered as well as change all the fluids - clutch/brake/coolant. Having the manuals will assist greatly.

Fuel injectors may need cleaning/flow testing, but they are probably good. Injectors for the early model fuel injected Civic/Prelude such as the Autoline 16313 are a good alternative. These are a good DIY project as well. I installed the Autoline injectors while I had my original injectors cleaned, bike operated well. Have since reinstalled the original injectors. Fuel injectors in the US are quite inexpensive for a set of four, about $100.00 for four delivered to your door. Rustybike on this forum has these in his '86 SE-i as we speak.

If the mechanic did a diagnostic, ask about any trouble codes from the ECU. If there are non, you need some additional information. As an aside, did he check for trouble codes displayed by the ECU? I would also ask where the ECU is located since the bike has been turned into a trike, important to note where this is.

I can keep going but need more information. Send me a private message for the manuals so you can read up on a few issues. I hope I have also given you some questions to ask the mechanic.

Let's see if we can get you on the road as economically as possible.

Good luck. Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

rookiebiker

Post by rookiebiker »

Extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! Will pm you this evening for the manual.
Thanks again. Feeling a little more empowered today.

rookiebiker

Post by rookiebiker »

My mechanic says the fuel filter looks good but the pump is definitely gone. He took it off and vatted it for 24 hours hoping to free it up, but no luck. He is checking getting one from a early model Civic or Prelude. He says there were no trouble codes when they ran the diagnostic but can't promise there won't be once he gets the bike running.

I've been looking for Blue book values and trying to determine if I should trade it in for a newer bike to avoid ongoing repairs. I'm in Texas. If I decide to trade it in or sell it myself, any thoughts on whether I should spend whatever it takes to get it running or just go ahead and sell it as is?

Thanks again for your help.

twocams
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Aspencade ( sold in Canada), 2003 K1200GT BMW, 1969 R69S BMW,92 R100 RT BMW
Sold : 84 V65 Magna, 82 Moto Guzzi, XS 1100 Yamaha,84 Wing Int., 80 650 Special, Only new bike 82 XV750 Virago (Guam),Honda 250,84 R100RT BMW,87 K100 LT BMW,93 K1100 LT BMW, 91 535 Virago, Honda 50

Post by twocams »

Now that Harvey has visited Texas I would buy as soon as possible. Some people will just be changing their oils and rinse their bikes off and selling them. :o What do you think will happen to all those thousands of cars and trucks? Salvage what they can to resale. Happens all the time.

twocams