Reservoir tank hose

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
str8edge
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200 Interstate

Reservoir tank hose

Post by str8edge »

I recently ran into a problem where the coolant hose running from the top of the radiator to the coolant reservoir tank broke. The hose itself didn't break, but the rubber connector at the plastic reserve tank. I know there are probably replacements out there, but I was wondering if I could cheat a little bit and just run another hose that connected to the radiator cap all the way back into the reservoir and get by with that?
Is there certain pressure or some other factor that would prevent me from doing that?

I also developed another problem. I have decent acceleration from 1000 to about 2500 rpm, but lately It get's a little stuttery from 3000 to 4000 rpm. Now bear in mind that this bike is brand new to me, so there might be some gremblins hiding still. Even when it wasn't stuttery, I noticed a lack of noticeable power in that rpm range. Is this a 1200 thing?

Oh and by the way my bike is an 1987 gl1200 interstate.... with 75000 miles on it... :)

Ohara
Motorcycle: 1986 Interstate
1986 Aspencade

Re: Reservoir tank hose

Post by Ohara »

A gl 1200 should pull really strong from 3000 to 4000 and on up no hesitation... Hesitation can be caused by many things. You could try 1/2 can of Sea Foam in a full tank of gas if it is dirt in a carb it may clean it out. Other than that it is the process of elimination... Fuel filter, fuel pump, over haul carbs, pulse generators, coils, spark plug wires or caps and so on. Does it continue to hesitate past 4000 RPM? The folks on this forum are quite good at fixing these problems and will help you through this... :D

str8edge
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200 Interstate

Re: Reservoir tank hose

Post by str8edge »

I hear more of a definitive popping noise, not loud, but there, if you take it around 5000. Above that it just doesn't sound good at all. Putting sea foam in the gas and letting it get into carbs. I'm going to let it hang out for a few days. I still have my coolant resevoir problem, so I'm not running until I fix that, it will be sitting anyway.