Need some advice on a bunch of different stuff.

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
cptkill21
Motorcycle: 1984 Honda Goldwing GL1200 Aspencade

Need some advice on a bunch of different stuff.

Post by cptkill21 »

Hey everyone first post here. Sorry if I'm doing anything wrong based on website requirements.

So I just got my first Goldwing. Its a 1984 Aspencade with 56000 miles. Ill post pictures from my phone soon.

I need information on where the best place is to get parts for it from mechanical/electrical to cosmetics.
She sat for 2 years before I bought it and I currently haven't done any major maintenance, but I am riding it as I need to get to work. This weekend I will be starting the tune up.

Currently this is what I've done:
Topped off the oil
bled the clutch
bled the rear/ right front brakes
Switched headlight to an LED

What needs to be done based off of what I've read here:
Change my timing belt and correct timing
Change spark plugs (already purchased)
Change oil and filter
Change air filter
Clean gas tank and change fuel filter
Bleed front left brake (it works but I figure I should do it)
Flush and fill radiator along with remove water pump and clean the interior of any grime.
Replace oil pan gasket
Replace any hoses that need to be replaced in all systems.
Tune carbs
Fix horn
Replace front brake light switch

Any advice on where to get parts that may not be available on above list would be awesome.

Current issues I've noticed since riding:

Must ride with choke on unless there is no traffic at highway speed or bike will die. Most likely due to carbs being out of tune?

Cassette deck doesn't work. Is this an easy repair or should I just open the housing, cut the main leads and hook them to an auxiliary cable?

During first hour of highway speeds 4th and 5th gear slip at about 4000-4200 RPM's especially on an incline. After an hour to an hour and a half of riding this problem seems to go away and I can accelerate fully though I can't slam down on the throttle in any gear at any time. It feels to me like the clutch is still engaged sometimes. I say this being that at times I can be in 1st with the clutch disengaged while not moving and the bike will not stall, move forward or make any odd noises. Any ideas on that?

Originally my chrome bumper accent lights all worked minus three dead bulbs but suddenly they are all off. I have checked the fuses and haven't found a bad one. I did notice one of the wires leading to the lighting assembly was worn down by the rear tire due to poor positioning. I will be fixing that wire that weekend, but I believe there may be another issue causing the problem. Any ideas on that?

The cosmetic parts I would like to replace: (Where could I find these?)

Side battery cover panel
Windshield (mine is clouded)
Housing for auto volume control/C.B. and voltmeter
Speaker covers
Seats

Lastly, and sorry for the long write up, If anyone lives near by me and would like to loan/help with the carburetor tuning I would love the help. I would need the tool to do the job and can offer pizza and beer. I live in Perris, CA.

Would also like to know about any other riders in the area and join the community.

Thanks in advance.

Corkster52
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 Aspencade
1988 GL1500 (sold 4/17)

Re: Need some advice on a bunch of different stuff.

Post by Corkster52 »

Cylemax and Partzilla are great places to look for parts.

cptkill21

Post by cptkill21 »

I'll check those places out.

Here's some pics of my bike.

You can see the failed bumper lights on the two rear pictures. One with working lights then nothing. Seat quality picture, and damaged auto volume housing
Attachments

cptkill21

Post by cptkill21 »

Sorry about those pictures not sure why they're sideways...

injunjoe535
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Aspencade, 2003 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic, 2006 Harley Davidson Road King

Post by injunjoe535 »

Welcome to the insanity. With the bike sitting for 2 years chances are good the idle circuit has clogged. You might try putting some sea foam, or other fuel system treatment in the gas but most likely you'll need to remove the carbs and clean the jets. That will cure needing to ride with the choke on. I'm not certain if this can be addressed with the carbs still on the bike.
For parts no longer available through the dealer, eBay and Craigslist can be good sources. Also there is a section on this site for buying and selling. Sometimes a post for what you need can result in someone needing to get rid of one.
The bulb issue: your going to have to get the old meter out and start hunting through the wiring. You said the harness was damaged; that's probably your problem. Make the repair and see what that brings. These bikes aren't that hard to work on. Be systematic in your approach and attack them one at a time then verify. Obviously the bulbs aren't blown so back tracking from the bulb will lead you to the problem.
Joe

cptkill21

Post by cptkill21 »

Thanks for the info Joe. Ill look up videos on how to properly clean carbs as I've never done it. This weekend, starting Friday, ill be pulling the bike apart and doing the tune up. I'm sure I'll figure out the lighting issue, I'm great with electrical.

I'll check the for sale section now and hopefully I'll find the carb tuning tool there.

kwild
Motorcycle: 84 Standard
85 Aspencade

Post by kwild »

Welcome, I have a nice wrap around windscreen you can have. i live in Anaheim, you'll need to pick it up. PM me.
Kurt
https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mpo ... 52210.html
84 Standard
85 Aspencade

If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?

Mountain rider
Motorcycle: 2003 Goldwing 1800

Post by Mountain rider »

First, Welcome aboard. For your body part needs, eBay has quite a bit available, including your battery side cover. eBay also has resources for fixing up your seat. Mine was trashed pretty good, but I found a guy out of Montana on eBay, that sells complete new upholstery to recover your seat. Here's some pics of mine, before and after.

Good luck, drive safe.

SFC, U.S. Army Artillery, Retired
Now, fully retired