Tail light sensor purpose

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
jwebfournow
Motorcycle: 1984 Aspencade, 1986 sei trike

Tail light sensor purpose

Post by jwebfournow »

Hi all, so I have a new to me 86 aspy sei, po has messed with wiring, when I got this bike I swear the tail lights all worked brake lights also included, now only the brake lights work, dash lights work turns all work, just no running lights on rear , took out taillight sensor and jumpered black wire to both browns everything works even warning light on dash is now off, replaced sensor with another worked for awile then back to same, question is do I need the tail light sensor at all?

coolrogue1
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Interstate

Re: Tail light sensor purpose

Post by coolrogue1 »

Is the taillight sensor needed....No unless your the type of guy who never checks to see if all the lights are working before climbing on and going down the road. Now having said that, I had the same problem on my bike, the PO added lights and really screwed up the "rear" lighting...the first thing I did was to disconnect all the added lights and got back to "stock". Found that things worked as planned. Then since i did want some of these extra lights to work I reconnected then one at a time till I found out which one was causing the trouble. Found a bad connection (never ever use suitcase connectors) and once that was repaired things worked "normally" and I haven't had the "taillight" warning light didn't come back on.

Sam
Sam

jwebfournow

Post by jwebfournow »

The bike is triked also has trailer wiring back there and u nderneath the body, only lights that I believe are extra are mounted on the trunk just two. I do really like to have all original myself I am still trying to sort out a rough idle when warmed up, thinking might have some dirty injectors, not sure if a tps would do it, so many sensors on these bikes, love the body colors on the 86 sei along with the bells and whistles but carbs are a lot simpler, work in progress for sure. Do appreciate the reply, I always check lights. So the sensor allows the warning light on dash to come on if a light is out then. Wish I had the electrical supplement for these bikes the sei and the ltd models that is

coolrogue1

Post by coolrogue1 »

jwebfournow wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:41 pm
Do appreciate the reply, I always check lights. So the sensor allows the warning light on dash to come on if a light is out then. Wish I had the electrical supplement for these bikes the sei and the ltd models that is
Yeah the "dash light" comes on if the taillight is NOT "lit"... My Clymer's service manual has the wiring diagrams for each model of GL1200 let me look at mine to see if the SEI and LTD are there...
Sam

jwebfournow

Post by jwebfournow »

okay thanks, I have the gl1200 factory service manual and the sei supplement, but not the electrical trouble shooting supplement for the sei and ltd's

coolrogue1

Post by coolrogue1 »

jwebfournow wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:07 pm
okay thanks, I have the gl1200 factory service manual and the sei supplement, but not the electrical trouble shooting supplement for the sei and ltd's
All my service manual has is the schematics, no trouble shooting guide...sorry

Sam
Sam

jwebfournow

Post by jwebfournow »

Thanks for tanking the time to check into it.😂