Rear axle spacer problems??

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
plumbermullins
Motorcycle: 82 standard w/vetter & kg bags
77gl1000 standard

Rear axle spacer problems??

Post by plumbermullins »

Has anyone ever had problems with the rear spacer going into the drive end to far and allowing the tire to be to close to the rt side swing arm?
I have an 86 sei with 95000 on it pulled the rear tire and had the shop install a Dunlop E3 mv85B15 just like what was on it. I reinstalled on the bike with new brake pads as I have done in the past, my 3rd E3 on this bike. went for a ride and started smelling rubber burning stopped and found that the tire was rubbing on the rt side but could not see where. By the time I got home total 10 miles side wall down to cords almost. Disassembled and found the tire was rubbing on the air ride linkage bolt to the frame. checked every thing I could find and cannot figure this out why the tire is too far rt.
spacer was very difficult to get out of the drive end and am thinking that it might have been over tightened and driven in to far. Is this possible? the spacer measures 3 7/8 " long and was pushed all the way in the drive end that there was no space between the spacer and the drive where the nut goes on.
Thought please I can't afford to wreck another tire.

brianinpa
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Standard
1987 GL1200 Interstate

Re: Rear axle spacer problems??

Post by brianinpa »

I assume you mean the spacer that goes inside the final drive.

Where or how were the spacers mounted on either side on the brake caliper bracket on the left side of the wheel?
Brian

If you aren't having fun doing it, find something else to do.

plumbermullins
77gl1000 standard

Post by plumbermullins »

Yes the spacer that goes into the final drive. the spacers on the caliper side were correct and everything went together well. The wheel is too close to the rt side swing arm and rubbed against the air level control up under the frame. It seems that the spacer went in to far?
I can place the spacer into the final drive and it has a small space to where the nut tightens against. when assembled that space is jammed in tight and must be manhandled to get out.
Ant thoughts are a help the local bike mechanic is puzzled as well, and I've been wrenching on bikes for 45 years and gold wings for 30.

plumbermullins
77gl1000 standard

Post by plumbermullins »

Hi Guys sorry to bump this up But HELP how far out of the drive should the spacer stick when seated fully? wracked my brain and really can't see what might have caused the wheel to be too far right Could the spacer wear into the drive side if overtorqued?

brianinpa
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Standard
1987 GL1200 Interstate

Post by brianinpa »

I have a spare in my garage and the spacer protrudes about 1/2".
Brian

If you aren't having fun doing it, find something else to do.

plumbermullins
77gl1000 standard

Post by plumbermullins »

Well for information as a follow-up to what happened. I screwed up! while removing the tire I somehow bent the linkage to the ride height level sensor. I had pulled both shocks and may have overextended the swing arm down while removing the tire.While this problem may only affect LTD and SEI's I still want to pass this information out as none of the repair manuals caution of this problem or prevention of it.
Thanks for all the views and comments. This site is a great place top learn and exchange info.