85 gl 1200 aspencade CB / Intercom help

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
rowlingstone
Motorcycle: 1985 Goldwing aspencade 1200, 85 Goldwing Aspencade trike, 98,harley Davidson wide glide, severasl scooters from 150 cc to 250 cc

85 gl 1200 aspencade CB / Intercom help

Post by rowlingstone »

I am trying to find out how to operate my intercom cb setup on my 85 gl1200a aspencade. My Radio works good, and if I plug my helmet cord into either the passengers or the front plugs on my bike and hit the radio button it goes from the speakers to the helmet to listen to music works good, but I am not sure how to use the cb on it or how to use the intercom from helmet to helmet. It has a talk button over on the left hand grips and a channel change for the cb but I'm not really receiving any cb chatter or any talking but I really don't know how to use the cb or where to set the knobs so if some can give me a quick how to on it that would be really great, I have a big whip antenea for it but I don't have it on right now cause its parked in my tin shed and its to tall for it so I unscrewed it, that's probably keeping me from getting any good reception but I can stick it on if I knew what to do or how to listen to the cb, I am new at the intercom cb stuff and trying to learn more about it. both my helmets have the J & M speakers and mic's in them so I thought I would learn to use them. Any ideas how to see if my cb works, and how do I talk helmet to helmet if you have any ideas, you've been a big help with my other stuff, thanks

rowlingstone
Motorcycle: 1985 Goldwing aspencade 1200, 85 Goldwing Aspencade trike, 98,harley Davidson wide glide, severasl scooters from 150 cc to 250 cc

Re: 85 gl 1200 aspencade Intercom help

Post by rowlingstone »

Ok I found out that some models don't have the communications set up, that its an option. I know they have a communication module that's in the left hand side of the fairing but is that all that you need to enable helmet to helmet communications , does anyone know. I can get a used communication module for my year bike but I'm wondering if anyone knows what all is needed to get the intercom up and running, the radio works through the helmet, I haven't figured out the C.B yet as my manual has nothing about it, but there is only the squelch button and very little more so I will figure out what to do eventually with that, if I turn the squelch up to high it says rx or tx I cant remember which right now but my antenna is off so on my day off I will roll it out put the antenna on it, and use the C.B in my motorhome ( which I never use either but want to earn more about them) and try the same channels as my Goldwing and see if anything comes through and play with it. But I would like to see if my Goldwing can get the helmet to helmet communications going. If I get no info, I guess I can always go blue tooth and that should work independent of the motorcycles equipment right ? ok if you got any input I would love it.what do I need to have helmet to helmet communications on the 85 aspencade besides my stock radio and C.B I know there is that com. module with in and out connections for passenger and driver on it but what else is involved I don't know.

julimike54
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A original owner
2016 HD FLTRU

Re: 85 gl 1200 aspencade CB / Intercom help

Post by julimike54 »

Looking at your sig line, the Aspencade models will come with everything needed to communicate between helmets (except lower cords and helmets), the CB is an option. I don't have a cb on mine, so not a lot of help there, other than you have to have an antenna for it to hear others, it won't receive or transmit worth a flip until that is installed (that I know from the old cb days). Helmet to helmet communication is 'automatic' (don't need to push any buttons). There are two knobs on the radio that affect the comms. The 'mute' sets the level of background sound (radio or whatever is playing in the ears) at the time of comms. Counter clockwise lowers this level. If the mute is set to extremes it can affect the comms level, start somewhere about mid point. The other knob, 'intercom', has two functions. When it is pressed, it changes from speaker to headset operation (indicated on the radio display by the headset symbol). The other function is it sets the "volume" level of the mic, about mid-point for starts. If you don't want the wind triggering the mic, you lower this setting, or the other way to look at it, if you talk softly the knob needs to be set higher, but may pick up wind noise. When the mic is triggered, the mute will lower the volume of what is playing in the ears to the 'mute volume', then the main volume is the sound level of the intercom in your ears.

I hope I explained this well enough. The owners manual didn't go very deep in how it works (to me). This is what I've 'learned' using the system.
Riding anything is a good day!
Mike