New member Introduction

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
jimmy's winging now
Motorcycle: 1982 Goldwing Aspencade 1100
Project bike (1986 Gl 1200 Aspencade SE-I )fuel injected

New member Introduction

Post by jimmy's winging now »

Hello all,
Name is Jimmy and I just bought my 1rst Wing. A 1982 Minty GL 1100 Aspencade with the
4 to 1 Carb. conversion kit and she runs well with 79,000 on her and she's Clean!!! I'm loving
it. I had a 30 year layoff from riding when I was first married and now Retired from Ironworking
I'm ready to ride again. I rode as a kid till I was 30.(used to race Gs1100e Suz) Reason I gave up riding was wife's brother
was taken out by a Drunk driver while a passenger on the back of a motorcycle right before I
was married and wife wanted me to give it up as it was time to raise a family and my son is
named after her deceased brother. So now kids are grown, I'm retired and now Riding again.
I picked up another Wing that was free but is a Restoration project. It's a 1986 Gl 1200A SE-i.
I have been tearing her down so I can go over this whole machine and build her back up.
I have my hands full with this project, am mechanically inclined but this machine looks like
it can be a bit overwhelming but I'm going to give it my best. Bike is complete but sat in a
deceased guys garage for 7 years with fuel left in her. Don't know where to start to see if
my efforts will be worth it as I need to know if engine has spark or even turns over. Front
forks I'm rebuilding now. Have bike with just motor on frame with rear wheel attached and
all wire harnesses unplugged as I am doing this Ground up. Any tips with testing for a good
motor before I dive into this project? This site is Awesome. Hope I can complete this
Resto. Project but know I have my hands full let alone finding parts for a 32 year old Wing...
I think the 1986 Gl 1200 Aspencade SE-I was 1 BEAUTIFUL machine and hope
I can get her on the road again. She only has 73,000 miles on her and needs a good
Detail cleaning. Thanks for reading my post and jimmys wingin now!!!
Jimmy

runnerme
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Interstate, 2008 V Star 1100 custom (Sold)

Re: New member Introduction

Post by runnerme »

Wing on dude, and welcome to the site. Good to hear you're riding again.
No shortage of good info here and all you need to do is ask, by the look of it, and someone will have an answer for you or be able to steer you in the right direction.
Good luck with the bike.

jimmy's winging now

Thanks for the warm Welcome runnerme. I can tell this is a really great
Forum here along with some really nice people and very knowledgeable .
I was very fortunate to find this Forum that's packed with information
on these Vintage Wings. Really Loving my 1982 Aspencade with the
4 to 1 Carb conversion. One thing I notice immediately is holding up
one of these Wings is nothing like my old ride of days gone by. They
are Heavy but once in motion, it's just a Great feeling riding down
the road. I know I will have my hands full trying to bring back the
1986 Aspencade SE-I to life as she sat roughly 7 or 8 years with all
old gas and fluids left in her. I have her half stripped down now
and this morning will be putting MMO in the cylinders and let it sit
a few days and will remove timing belt covers and give the Crank
a hand spin to see if motor will turn over. If so then I will do a cold
Compression test and go from there. Found a 2 pin connector with
2 yellow wires that were melted together when disassembling. So
there's an issue right there. Anyway, Thanks for the Welcome and I
will need some good luck with the 1986 Aspencade SE-I as she needs
a ground up restoration and alot of TLC. Hope I can "git her done"
someday in the future here but work is in progess and slowly moving forward. ..
Thanks to everyone and RIDE SAFE!
jimmy's winging now

runnerme
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Interstate, 2008 V Star 1100 custom (Sold)

Post by runnerme »

Keep the site posted on your progress. Always interesting to hear what people encounter in bringing an old bike back to life

julimike54
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A original owner
2016 HD FLTRU

Post by julimike54 »

Welcome and good luck with the restoration! Where is the connector located?
Riding anything is a good day!
Mike

jimmy's winging now

Well I spent part of Saturday and Sunday doing more teardown. The connector that had a melted a tad was the small 2 pin (2 yellow wires) connector that was from the regulator rectifier. Also there was a 8 pin connector with 6 wires that somehow ties in with this had a dark burn spot at the
Yellow wire on this connector. So there is 1 issue I need to work out. I checked stator wire
connections (3 yellow wires) and someone omitted this connector and spliced with other wire
and wire clip terminals. (crimped them) Garbage work they did. So my thoughts now are
I might need a New Stator. Hopefully not but will do the test for stator without engine running
and see what I come up with there. Work completed this weekend was all wiring marked out
and connectors seperated, some sub harnesses removed, radiators out, drained anti freeze
and she came out looking brand new. Marvel mystery oil added to cylinders and will hand spin
in a couple days as she's soaking. Oil came out of one of the exhaust manifolds when I added
MMO but I figure due to an open exhaust valve I'm hoping. Timing belt covers off. Just about
ready to remove front forks and steering unit. I have about 70% of this bike Torn down. In all
my life I have never seen so much wiring, sensors ,etc.,etc. My hands are full but enjoying it
so far. Removed ignition switch to get key code and now have the code and can have the key
made up. I had to do a bunch of research and chasing in order to get the title for this bike
seeing the registered owner was deceased. I had to get an avadavit from the brother who
cleaned out his estate. I needed the death notice which I got, and last there was a Lien, so
I had to find the owner before that and get a Release of Lien letter. I finally completed that.
So bike can now be Legally Titled. Well that's it for now and will keep my project here updated.
Thanks to all that Replied to me. Truly Appreciated! !! This machine was Free and I couldn't
bear to see her put to pasture as she's a Classic in my eyes. Only time will tell the outcome....
jimmy's winging now

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Welcome to the site. The '86 SEi is a great bike, I have 2 - '85 LTDs that are practically the same, I use one for my daily and touring bike. My second one will be on the road this June.

Don't jump at a new stator until you get the engine started. Fuel injection is more forgiving than carb models. My second '85 sat for 3 1/2 years, drained old gas, made sure everything else worked, started after about 15 minutes of turning over (not continuous). Checked rotor/stator output and RR, all was fine. Here is a photo of the RR wiring when I got the bike:

Wiring is not indicative of component condition. Cut out these wires and reconnected with new high quality crimp terminals.

The RR on this bike has been replaced with one from a 650 Kawasaki, why I don't know. It is a low amp RR, probably max of 30 amps. The '85 LTD and '86 SEi have an alternator unit capable of up to 35 amps. I think this also impacted on the wiring condition. Make sure, if you decide to upgrade/change the RR it can handle the current developed by the rotor/stator.

Also check the RR IAW the service manual instructions, it could be good as well.

Change the fuel filter as well. It gets gummed up as well. Fuel filter alternatives are larger than OEM but the bracket can be modified to suit - lots of threads available regarding this, I have done the alteration: Here is a list: Hastings GF159/Beck Arnley 043-0897/Fram G3969/NAPA 3556/WIX 33556

Lots of aftermarket RRs available as well. An upgrade to a new, modern RR with MOSFET technology is a great option. There are RRs with the MOSFET technology that are still shunt type RRs, and there are series RRs as well. Recommend the series RR if it's in your budget.

Do you have the service manuals. Can send via wetransfer. For the '85 but the '86 is identical. Send PM with email if you would like files.

Good luck. Cheers

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest