Sticky Clutch ?

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
Rusty Bike
Motorcycle: 86 GL1200 SEi, 98 Valkyrie Std, 78 Yamaha XS750SE, 86 Honda XL125, 4.5 HP belt drive Minibike my dad built, foot clutch!

Sticky Clutch ?

Post by Rusty Bike »

Sticky clutch. Started my 86 SEi , pulled in the clutch, put in gear and stall! It tried to move! Tried 2 more times, same thing. Pulled in clutch and hit starter, bike rolled forward in first with clutch pulled in. As I moved twords the garage, the clutch released and started working. So, I took the bike into town. Clutch worked fine...normal. I put 80 miles on this bike two days ago. Clutch worked fine. The clutch lever felt fine the whole time clutch was stuck. WTHell??? Thanks for any input.

DaveO430
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800
2004 Suzuki DR200

Re: Sticky Clutch ?

Post by DaveO430 »

I guess it hadn't been ridden in quite a while? It's may the oil you use, not sure why they sometimes stick but if it's unstuck don't worry about it.

Rusty Bike
Motorcycle: 86 GL1200 SEi, 98 Valkyrie Std, 78 Yamaha XS750SE, 86 Honda XL125, 4.5 HP belt drive Minibike my dad built, foot clutch!

Post by Rusty Bike »

It had not set. I rode it 80 miles, 2 days before the sticky incendent. Very weird IMO. Have other owners experenced this?

julimike54
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A original owner
2016 HD FLTRU

Post by julimike54 »

What type oil and how long since changing? The only time the clutch wasn't working on mine the stealer didn't change the oil and it was like coal color (normal is a tea color, when oil is due for change); or when I replaced the clutch line and it wasn't bled properly (did it again and got the air out).
Riding anything is a good day!
Mike

Rusty Bike

Post by Rusty Bike »

I changed the oil last week before the 80 mile ride, installed Rotella T4. I was running Rotella T6 but have found that T4 is better for transmission gears due to higher zink and phospherous levels as pre Shell Oil. Also T4 is much cheaper. I'll be on the Wing in an hour or so, we'll see what happens today.............................>>

Rusty Bike

Post by Rusty Bike »

Well, same thing. Started the bike, clutch stuck. Put it in gear and started bike with the clutch lever pulled in, bike moves for a few feet then the clutch released?? Rode about 120 mile, clutch worked fine. Before I went for the ride I checked clutch master cylinder fluid leval, pulled the cap. Resivoure was full. Worked clutch lever several times, I can hear the slave cylinder working. Lever feels normal weather clutch plates are stuck or not. I am going to rebuild master and slave. I bought the rebuild kits a few months ago for really no reason at that time. Just figured all the stuff is old, should rebuild but, the situation still makes no sence to me.....

Rusty Bike

Post by Rusty Bike »

OK, I found the problem and the fix. If you read the thread, I had just replaced the oil and filter when this sticky clutch problem showed up. I put in 1 gal of oil...1/2 quart too much. I put in Rotella T4..... 15W 40. What was happening is the clutch was hydraulicly coupling itself and moving the bike till that bit of oil in the clutch heated due to friction, then let the clutch release. I drained 1/2 quart of oil out of the engine and the clutch has not stuck since. Evidently the higher oil level was increasing the hydraulic friction between the clutch plates. This only happened when engine was cold. I live in NW PA so nights are still cold which makes my insulated garage cool all day + the T4 is thicker then the T6 that I was running. Live n learn I guess but is was an easy fix.............................>>

Malm
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Interstate
1986 GL1200 SEI
1983 V65 Magna

Post by Malm »

L. I. B. :D

I will remember that lesson....

Common sense is NOT so common....