HELP. Really low oil level after a ride

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Gabgab753
Motorcycle: Goldwing 1200 interstate 1985

HELP. Really low oil level after a ride

Post by Gabgab753 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:41 pm

Yesterday i do a 50km ride and during the ride, I hear somme strange i never hear before. For me i was thinking it was the timing belt wo was loose, but i look and they seem pretty tight (i change them to be sure). I bought the bike this winter so i never ride it and dont know the normal sound of the engine. So before i go, i tchek the oil and the level was good. But now i look at the stick and the level is really low and im afraid i damage something 😞 . There is no leak on the crankcase ,so i really think its a cylinder who consume oil. When i tchek the spark plug( they are new), the 2 right cylinder sparkplug are dark and they look like they burning a loooot of oil. And the 2 left are nice and clean. During the ride The temp didin't rise higher than normal, the oil pressure light didin't light up. What do you think about that. Did this level of oil can actualy break something?...:/ ( sorry for the english)
Attachments

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Re: HELP. Really low oil level after a ride

Post by Bluewaterhooker0 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:31 pm

If there was no indication of low oil pressure, I would think you are probably OK. Long term, running low oil would not be good, but 50km, less than 50 miles, I don't consider long term or even close to long term.
Your plug actually looks carbon fouled, from a rich gas mixture. As much oil as you think was consumed, would probably show WET oil on the plug. So, I would recheck the oil, bike on the center stand as specified in the owners manual, dipstick NOT screwed in for the check. This, of course , is after it has sat a while, especially after riding. If it needs oil, add it.
I would look elsewhere for the fouling issue. Depending on exactly which plugs are fouled, others may be able to point you in a likely direction for the cause.

EDIT: I just noticed this is a 1200, not a 1500. Verify the correct oil check procedure.

Gabgab753
Motorcycle: Goldwing 1200 interstate 1985

Post by Gabgab753 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:42 pm

I tchek the oil as specifed in the shop manuel . And the result is on the picture the result. I tchek it after 12h witout moving.

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2017 Yamaha FZ07, 2015 Yamaha Super Tenere ES, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500, Gas Gas TXT200

Post by thrasherg » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:50 am

First thing is to add more oil and get the level to the correct level. I would then be looking for external leaks, if it was burning that much oil I think you would see plenty of smoke, so I suspect the level was probably low before you started your ride. If after filling the oil level, you see it dropping again, then you have a problem, but for the minute I would just add more oil and then see what happens.

Gary

La première chose est d'ajouter plus d'huile et d'obtenir le bon niveau. Alors cherchez pour de fuites externes, si cela brûlait beaucoup d'huile, je pense que vous verriez beaucoup de fumée, donc je ponse que le niveau était probablement bas avant de commencer votre balad. Si après avoir rempli le niveau d'huile, vous le voyez retomber, vous avez un problème, mais pour le moment je voudrais juste ajouter plus d'huile et ensuite voir ce qui se passe.

Rusty Bike
Motorcycle: 86 GL1200 SEi, 98 Valkyrie Std, 78 Yamaha XS750SE, 86 Honda XL125, 4.5 HP belt drive Minibike my dad built, foot clutch!

Post by Rusty Bike » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:16 pm

Yes, as stated above, all good info.... The dip stick is rather tricky to get a good reading. Drop it in the hole, then when pulling it back out, pull it straight out without touching it to the case. It must come straight out with out touching anything along the way. Then you will get a true reading. When it touches the engine on it's way out, it gets oil smeared on it and will give a false reading. This has happened to me several times till I found the trick. Those black plugs look like carbon fouled, not oil as stated above. I would say the dark plug is running rich and possably the clean plug is running lean. Check for vacume leaks on the lean side or could be carb is plugged up. Rich side my be a carb problem or a problem in the air supply. Check the air filter and intake runners for obstruction. Mouse nest possably. I doubt you hurt the engine. New old bike. It will take a while to get the bugs worked out. Check your plug wires and coils also. The electricial connections all thru the bike need cleaned wit contact cleaner and greased with dielectric grease also. Those dirty, corroded connectors will rob the engine and other components of voltage. (voltage drop) This causes all kinds of weird troubles, hard starting is one of those. You only have about 14 volts to work with, if you loose 1/2 of a volt going into the coils, you loose aproxmatly 1,000 volts at the spark plug!! Note: (WD40 is NOT contact cleaner) Good luck.
Last edited by Rusty Bike on Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rusty Bike
Motorcycle: 86 GL1200 SEi, 98 Valkyrie Std, 78 Yamaha XS750SE, 86 Honda XL125, 4.5 HP belt drive Minibike my dad built, foot clutch!

Post by Rusty Bike » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:25 pm

Also, you mentioned the timing belts. Do you know when they were replaced last? If not....Change Them NOW! You can't tell to look if they are any good. Spin the idlers also, they should spin freely with no noise or slop. If a timing belt lets go, you engine will be JUNK!. Belts cost about 35 bucks...Cheap insurence.