bike running hot at idle

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
Hank bryan
Motorcycle: 1983 honda goldwing interstate

bike running hot at idle

Post by Hank bryan »

i bought a 1984 1200 goldwing started it ran rough put in seafoam new plugs new fuel filter new oil filter oil let run at idle for a couple of hours and came back looked at the heat gauge and it was running hot so i shut it down checked coolant it was clean put in new coolant need to sync carbs but right now i need to solve the running hot issue any help i can get will be greatly appreicated thanks

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: bike running hot at idle

Post by WingAdmin »

Hank bryan wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:51 pm
i bought a 1984 1200 goldwing started it ran rough put in seafoam new plugs new fuel filter new oil filter oil let run at idle for a couple of hours and came back looked at the heat gauge and it was running hot so i shut it down checked coolant it was clean put in new coolant need to sync carbs but right now i need to solve the running hot issue any help i can get will be greatly appreicated thanks
You let it sit and idle for a couple of HOURS?

No wonder it was running hot!

That's really not great for the bike. I'm surprised it was still running at all, as it typically doesn't charge at idle.

In any case, with the cooling system running properly, the bike will keep itself out of the red if you let it just sit and idle, but only just. It will cycle up and down as the cooling fan turns on and off.

geraldm
Motorcycle: 86 gl1200 Aspencade

Re: bike running hot at idle

Post by geraldm »

Is the cooling fan operating proper? Just went through that with my 86A turned out the sender for fan had a poor connection , my fan comes on about 6 bars up from cold ?