Ltd Compression Test

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
EasyBadger
Motorcycle: 1982 GL 500 I (Silvy)
1985 GL 1200 Ltd (Goldy)
1985 GL 1200 Ltd (parts bike)

Ltd Compression Test

Post by EasyBadger »

Hi everybody,

What is the right procedure to do a compression test on the fuel injected models like the Ltd and Sei?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Safe rides,
Jens

jwebfournow
Motorcycle: 1984 Aspencade, 1986 sei trike

Re: Ltd Compression Test

Post by jwebfournow »

Same procedure as you do for a non fuel injected, warm bike up, shut down pull plug wires, blow out area around plugs with plugs still in bike, when fully clean pull plugs, install your compression tester, I use screw in type, open throttle all the way and hold down starter button until gauge reads its highest, usually about 5 seconds of starter cranking, write down results cylinder, repeat for other cylinders, and all of this is easier when the bodywork has been removed in that area prior. Should also mention to have a fully charged battery

EasyBadger
Motorcycle: 1982 GL 500 I (Silvy)
1985 GL 1200 Ltd (Goldy)
1985 GL 1200 Ltd (parts bike)

Post by EasyBadger »

Hi jwebfournow,

Thanks for your tips. After a long search on different forums I found the best way to do it.

1. Warmed up the bike
2. Pulled the CFI and fuel pump relay
3. Pulled the plug wires
4. Cleaned the spark plug area
5. Pulled the spark plugs
6. Installed the tester and ran the starter with the open throttle until the gauge reached it highest reading on each cylinder

I pulled the relays, because I didn´t want gas in the cylinders and also not to damage the ignition system.
The readings where great. Cylinder 1, 2 and 3 where at 140 Psi and Nr. 4 at 135 Psi. The bike has 74000 km on the dial.

After putting everything together, I went for a great ride at this beautiful sunshine yesterday.

Safe rides,
Jens

jwebfournow
Motorcycle: 1984 Aspencade, 1986 sei trike

Post by jwebfournow »

Yes that does sound better, I am so use to working on carbed bikes forgot about the injectors wanting to spray fuel when cranking.