Runs perfect then shuts down, rinse repeat

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
brkelley75
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Aspencade

Runs perfect then shuts down, rinse repeat

Post by brkelley75 »

I recently replaced head gaskets on my 1200, it sat for about 8 months before I got around to it. After getting it back together, I rode a couple days and out if thd blue it started acti g up. It will run perfect for a couple miles then it acts like i shut the swicth off. It has a a wierd weak firing sound as i crank it then after a few minutes of that it starts and runs perfect again. I replaced coils last year, fuel pump, filter and carbs have been rebuilt, adjusted and balanced and was running like a new one prior to the head gasket blowing. Not sure if its electrical or fuel. It doex have the same same fuel in it that it had 8 months ago as i had just filled the tank before breaking down. I could use a little guidance, thank you in advance.

Ohara
Motorcycle: 1986 Interstate
1986 Aspencade

Re: Runs perfect then shuts down, rinse repeat

Post by Ohara »

It sounds like it could be your pulse generators. They will stop working once the motor warms up and work again once the motor cools down.

julimike54
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A original owner
2016 HD FLTRU

Post by julimike54 »

When you state it acts like the 'switch' is off, that could be the indicator. When it's acting normal try a slight wiggling of the ignition switch and/ or the 'kill' switch (not enough to actually engage). You might have dirty contacts in one or the other (or both). A few years back mine acted up like you describe, I noticed when the engine died every electrical thing was on and functioning except the RPM went to zero (while bike was coasting down from highway speed and in gear). It was the 'kill' switch making intermittent contact, took it apart and cleaned. When trying to figure out what was going on I road around the area slightly pushing on the switches and found the 'kill' to be the culprit.

If you take the 'kill' apart, watch for a little metal ball and spring in there. I added a little stretch to the spring when I was in there cleaning.
Riding anything is a good day!
Mike

brkelley75
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Aspencade

Post by brkelley75 »

Thank you i will try cleaning the switch contacts first and go from there. Hopefully thats it. I really dont want to take this thing apart again right now.