Not charging

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
ajratt01
Motorcycle: 1976 gl 1000

Not charging

Post by ajratt01 »

Hey everyone. Bought an 84 aspencade a month or so ago and been loving it. When I bought it I noticed the previous owner had a trickle charger hooked up. Didn't think much of it. Well long story short, the longer you ride the harder it is to start. I checked the battery it tests good, however with it running I'm getting 12.5v at idle and around 12.7 at 3000 rpms. So with that said I believe I have a charging issue that they didn't want to fix. The wife and I rode the other day but had to jump start it after 150 mile ride but it drove home fine, just no battery left. I don't know alot about these systems so if there's any input you all can provide I would greatly appreciate it. I'm a mechanic by trade so I know I can fix it, I just need some guidance on how it all works and any common problems there may be. Thanks In advance!

froche
Motorcycle: 1985 Goldwing Aspencade (GL1200A)
2002 GL1800

Former bikes;
2000 R1100RT
2005 Suzuki Bandit
1979 Yamaha XS1100
1978 Yamaha XS1100 Special
1990 Yamaha XV250
1980 Yamaha XV750
1979 Honda CB750
1968 Triumph Bonneville T120
1973 Honda CB450
1968 Harley Davidson Sportster
1974 Honda CB750
1968 Honda CL72

Re: Not charging

Post by froche »

Check the three yellow wires that plug/unplug underneath the battery cover. The general consensus is to eliminate the plug and solder the wires together. Some suggest a new plug (and possibly ends) would fix it for another 30 years and others suggest aftermarket plugs of various sorts.

My 85 needed the wires cut back and extended due to insulation cracking and wire loosing ability to conduct (leave an insulated wire outside and you will see copper wire turn grey and loose "bendability"). I used new wire and soldered them and shrunk insulation on the joints. I also replaced the rectifier regulator with a new unit by Shingden and connected the new wires directly to it and it to the battery. All is now good!

All three yellow wires don't need to be connected to the same wires they were removed from as they conduct AC from the Stator to the voltage rectifier regulator so there is no positive or negative.

julimike54
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A original owner
2016 HD FLTRU

Post by julimike54 »

Above is good advise, also test the output of the stator, procedure here
https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/gall ... e_id=23301

For more info about the charging system, look here
https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/gall ... m_id=10280

If you need to replace the stator, requires engine removal, here's reference material
https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/gall ... m_id=10270

The other alternative to stator replacement, is to add an alternator (car), that's commonly referred to as a "Poor boy" conversion.

Good luck
Riding anything is a good day!
Mike

ajratt01

Post by ajratt01 »

Well I hate to say it but I have a gut feeling that's why the bike may have been sold. They knew the stator was bad. I'll test it tonight though and see. So how does the poor boy conversion work? That might be a viable option here.

sportsfreaked
Motorcycle: 1981 Honda Goldwing Interstate GL1100I
1985 Honda Goldwing Limited Edition gl1200

Post by sportsfreaked »

The other problem is the connector at the regulator under the false tank. Not sure if it's covered in the previous links posted. Even though the plugs may look good take it apart and solder those wires together as well with heat shrink applied. My 1200 Limited Edition did that several years back on the way home. I thought it was for sure the stator but it turned out to be the plug at the regulator. Cut it out and soldered and heat shrinked and fixed the problem.
Thanks to all who answer and help. It is greatly appreciated!
Ed

ajratt01

Post by ajratt01 »

Ok so far I haven't had time to check the stator. But I did look into the connected by the battery. What I found so far is it was removed, but in its place are cheap spade connectors. They're not corroded but are rusty and fairly loose. Im Hoping that's all it is but I'll check everything you all are saying. Thanks again my friends!

sportsfreaked

Post by sportsfreaked »

If I remember correctlly one of those yellow wires is not copper. Make sure you strip them back far enough to get to good wire then solder in new wire with heat shrink tubes. Its important to not use butt connectors or the spade one's which are on there currently but to do a good solder job with good wire. Even if you fix that and you are charging well again I would still Che l the regulator connection and do that as well.

While you have the yellow wires cut would be a good time to check stator output so you know for sure if it's good or not. Best of luck.
Ed

ajratt01

Post by ajratt01 »

That's the plan! Unfortunately I've had some family issues that are keeping me from getting it done. But I'll definitely let you all know the outcome. Once I get used to the old girl it wont be to bad. Just a little different than 76. Again thanks all.

sportsfreaked

Post by sportsfreaked »

No problem glad to help. I know what ya mean. I'm stuck inside for the next 6-8 weeks watching the dog who had ACL surgery at $1,600.00 bucks. He can't run, jump, play, etc. Ugh

Ed