How to do the VALVE ON MY 84 1200 Aspencade ?

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
kajunmisfitt
Motorcycle: 1984 Honda Goldwing Aspencade (GL1200)
1985 Honda Goldwing Aspencade (GL1200)

How to do the VALVE ON MY 84 1200 Aspencade ?

Post by kajunmisfitt »

Hello Everyone,

I went to YouTube and I found out what the noise I was hearing it is the "VALVES", I need to found out what is involved in getting them adjusted. am I going to loose more oil what the covers are taken off that I will need to do a oil change? Does the engine need to be on any special marks like the timing belts did. I am hoping I find someone the help me do this instead of paying the dealer $255 + Taxes. Or if you think I should go to the dealer knowing that it will done right. Thanks

ekvh
Motorcycle: 1977 gl1000

Re: How to do the VALVE ON MY 84 1200 Aspencade ?

Post by ekvh »

It depends on your comfort level with tools and the manual. Do you have a shop manual?

If you don’t do your own work, year older bikes can become quite expensive.

I have not found any good tutorials on the 1200 heads/valves. The manual has some info. If the bike sat a while, the adjusters can need priming. There are shims which can be added, but proper and timely oil changes should make that quite rare.

ekvh
Motorcycle: 1977 gl1000

Re: How to do the VALVE ON MY 84 1200 Aspencade ?

Post by ekvh »

Or the adjusters may need to be cleaned. They have small holes for oil to flow and when plugged can cause the ticking sound you describe. A broken valve spring could do it. A broken rocker housing could do it. The manual covers how to do this and it could be done in situ. The valve adjusters are a different animal on 1200’s. There is a procedure on bleeding the adjusters too. I haven’t done it, but am tearing into a set right now on the bench, so I’ve had the adjusters out and see what they look like. Not too complicated, but a little counter intuitive in that the Allen screws on the top of the head which are next to the intake valves, are for the exhaust valves, and visaversa for the lower ones. Also the top pair of adjusters go in one direction and the bottom go in opposite.

If you post that you don’t have a manual, there are guys here who can send you electronic copies. I use my iPhone for everything rather than a paper manual. Could be very handy on the road.