Air equaliser pipe leaking

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Mud_
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Naked

Air equaliser pipe leaking

Post by Mud_ » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:32 am

Hi all, I've got air (and some oil) escaping from the air equaliser pipe on the front forks, and can't seem to get it to seal up. I'm not sure how it's meant to seal - it's blowing between the fitting and pipe. Is the pipe meant to be sealing inside the fork rather than with the pipe fitting?

Given I'm running 0psi and will keep it this way, can I **** this on both sides? Does anyone know what the thread is?

The bike is very hacked about and I've just received it, so I'm still working out what is what :shock:

Mud_

Re: Air equaliser pipe leaking

Post by Mud_ » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:11 am

Slighty answering my own question, it feels like the pipe is engaging nicely on one side, and failing to insert on the other...I guess there's an o-ring or something in the fork that seals against the pipe, but the ignition barrel is blocking my view.

Mud_

Re: Air equaliser pipe leaking

Post by Mud_ » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:24 am

...being the patient type (and having seen how cheap the equaliser bits are) I figured I'd have a stab at bunging it. I put a M5 thread in each nut fitting, and just ran in a M5 cap head bolt with a viton dowty washer. The forks make sloshy noises and not wooshy noises now. I'll report back if I die.