86 SEI pulse generator

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
TimWoodward
Motorcycle: 1986 Aspencade SEI

86 SEI pulse generator

Post by TimWoodward » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:14 pm

My 86 SEI 1200 started shutting off once it reached operating temp. After it cooled down would restart and run. The fuel system light tripped and set the code for the pg pickup.You need to look before you recycle the key. I went the duel pg route eliminating one. It mounted up just fine and no longer stops running but... I now have a hesitation and stumble when I first go to accelerate. I need to know she's going to go. The mounting eliminates a gap issue as it's identical to the oem. I thinking I will go back into the timing cover and possibly use the other pg. One issue fixed but my big hands might have created another. Any ideas?

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Re: 86 SEI pulse generator

Post by Rednaxs60 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:40 pm

I went the dual Ns sensor route as well, used one that was for an '85 Aspencade. Installed both in the upper and lower position then took one sensor and installed the wires in the old connector and all is good. Installed the second one so that if the first goes U/S would only have to swap the wires in the connector without going into the timing belt area.

Engine hesitation and a small stumble on start could be a cylinder bank balance. If the cylinder banks, left/right, are not balanced you can get a small hesitation on start. You can check if the cylinder bank balance is not quite correct by looking at the plugs. The cylinder bank that is not firing as good as the other will have more carbon on the plugs - BTDT. You will have to set the idle during this procedure as well.

Another reason I mention the cylinder bank balance is because some have used the wrong adjuster to set the engine idle. The engine idle screw is at the rear of the engine where the left and right throttle linkage join. The cylinder balance screw is behind the right side CFI cover.

Try this first. You probably have, but with the SE-i and the '85 LTD you should have the service manuals.

Good luck. Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

TimWoodward
Motorcycle: 1986 Aspencade SEI

Re: 86 SEI pulse generator

Post by TimWoodward » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:12 pm

Well done... I did adj the cylinder bal with excellent results. I also replaced the fuel filter with a aftermarket as the oem is no longer in production and that took care of my top end performance issues. I need to lower the idle yet bet my baby lives thank you so much.

Tim