86 SEi, no power at all

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Warbum99
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 SEi Aspencade

86 SEi, no power at all

Post by Warbum99 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:40 pm

Ok so I just purchased a GL1200 SEi in non working condition. Looks like its been sitting for a long time. Not a huge issue for me, however i wasn't expecting to have to troubleshoot it electrically just mechanically. So I put a new battery(12.8V, and passed load test approx 400 CCA) into it and nothing happened..like nothing. The instrument cluster didn't come on, zero lights, i mean nothing. So i started taking some voltages and i seem to have voltage going to the starter solenoid( all fuses are checked and good btw) and voltage on the line going to the ignition. Does anyone know how to check the starter soleniod to make sure its working properly? Also all the saddle bags have been removed so nothing on the rear of the bike is plugged in( not sure if that makes a difference). Any help is appreciated

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Re: 86 SEi, no power at all

Post by Rednaxs60 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:56 pm

Warbum99 wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:40 pm
Ok so I just purchased a GL1200 SEi in non working condition. Looks like its been sitting for a long time. Not a huge issue for me, however i wasn't expecting to have to troubleshoot it electrically just mechanically. So I put a new battery(12.8V, and passed load test approx 400 CCA) into it and nothing happened..like nothing. The instrument cluster didn't come on, zero lights, i mean nothing. So i started taking some voltages and i seem to have voltage going to the starter solenoid( all fuses are checked and good btw) and voltage on the line going to the ignition. Does anyone know how to check the starter soleniod to make sure its working properly? Also all the saddle bags have been removed so nothing on the rear of the bike is plugged in( not sure if that makes a difference). Any help is appreciated
Do you have the manuals: OEM service manual, electrical troubleshooting and the supplement. Mentioned on Steve Saunders site that some would not put the key in without having these. Easy on these to go down the wrong rabbit hole so to speak.

You mentioned all the fuses. There is a white wire connected to the battery terminal of the starter solenoid. It is a 30 amp circuit, the fuse should be to the right of the battery, and powers the CFI system. No power to this system, engine will not start, and I believe

The starter solenoid has 4 wires. Red, red/white, yellow/red, and green/red. The red and red/white should be live when the battery is connected to the starter solenoid. The red wire goes to the ignition switch, the red/white wire is from the regulator rectifier.

The yellow/red wire is from the starter button and the green/red goes to ground through the clutch diode.

The starter solenoid if not working only means you will not turn over the engine, does not affect the rest of the electrical system unless there is no power to the red wire even when the bike is shut off. Check to ensure the red and red/white wire has power at all times.

Hope this helps for a start.
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

Warbum99

Post by Warbum99 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:05 pm

Red, currently no manual. Which im not to concerned about, just tore a different one apart the other day and put it back together and it runs like a champ. This one is really throwing me for a loop because it shows nothing so im literally starting from scratch. So i believe that the original starter solenoid has been changed because this one has a 30A blade type fuse, then there is an inline fuse on the other red wire that connects to the W side of the starter solenoid. They are both fine 12.8V on both. I'm just wondering if when connected do you know the voltages that should be going thru the 4 pronged connector on the solenoid, because if its not getting the right voltages then i assume nothing works.

Rednaxs60
2008 GL1800 (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:18 pm

Here's a diagram of the starter solenoid:

The red and red/white wires should be live at all times, battery voltage. The yellow/red wire will only show power when the starter button is pressed, should be system voltage. The green/red wire is to ground through the clutch diode. When you press the starter button there should be 12 VDC going at the green/red wire, if not check for voltage on the yellow/red wire. If voltage on yellow/red wire and not on the green/red wire, starter solenoid probably is no good.

You mention a "W" on the starter solenoid. This could be an upside down "M" for motor - specifically the starter. What does the other starter solenoid terminal indicate?

If there is power to the red wire at all times, there should be power to the ignition switch and then out to the fuse box.

PM sent.

Ernest

Warbum99

Post by Warbum99 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:37 pm

Ok cool, def a great place to start, thanks again. The other terminal says B so i was assuming white and black because power and ground. Also im probably going to changed the inline fuse from the dog bone style to the blade type cause its easy and the dog bone ones kind of blow.

Rednaxs60
2008 GL1800 (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:43 pm

Connect the battery to the "B" terminal, the starter to the "M". Change the wire connected to the "M" terminal and connect it to the "B" terminal, you may see a difference.

Ernest

Warbum99

Post by Warbum99 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:03 pm

Update, so changed it to B for battery and M to starter, and i have power to the center display..winning. Went to check the starter to see if it would turn over and got nothing, so more troubleshooting ahead. Also i think the starter solenoid may be the wrong one for this bike because the fuse is now facing into the bike vice away, so i'm probably going to end up changing it out anyway but it was nice to see it light up, thanks for the help. If the new solenoid helps matters i'll post it.

Rednaxs60
2008 GL1800 (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:25 pm

Pictures would help, like pictures.

Ernest

Warbum99

Post by Warbum99 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:21 am

Ok here are the pictures, trying to find a dog bone fuse right now for it, probably just going to call honda. Also the chlutch appears to have zero fluid so i'm guessing that it needs to be depressed in order to start. So i'm going to start there. I could hotwire the starter solenoid and bike turned over so pretty sure the starter is ok.
Attachments

Rednaxs60
2008 GL1800 (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:30 am

Good pictures. Wonder why there are two wires, a yellow and yellow/red joined together? The red wire going to the dog bone fuse is the 30 amp CFI circuit. The wire that is there is a bit overkill, only need a 12/14 GA wire. There's only about 7 to amps flowing in that wire - I've checked the amp flow on mine - will also clean it up a bit.

Here's a picture of the wiring for the start system:

Good to hear that there is progress.

Cheers

Ernest

Warbum99

Post by Warbum99 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:17 pm

Ok so i've replaced the Dogbone fuse and, still nothing. I've found a broken wire at the clutch so i'm replacing that connector, however i just shorted it out to try and start it. Still not giving power to the starter via the electric starter. However i can still "hotwire" it with a flathead and it turns over fine. So i have a new starter soleniod and installed it B to battery and M to starter. Now back to my original problem...nothing lights up at all again. I'm at a loss, i tracked voltage down the wire with the dogbone and have power going to the wiring harness so i guess i'll continue to try and hunt down this issue. Very weird to me that it was turning the lights and head unit on with the old one and now it won't. Also it seems like only the Red and Red/white lines have power going to them continually. Still hate electricity...

Warbum99

Post by Warbum99 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:08 pm

Ok so after a few days of hunting down wire's, cleaning the start switch contacts, I was able to locate the source of the issue. It had a bad contact between the fuse box and the start switch which was not allowing power to go to the starter solenoid. Anyway jumpered wire #4 from the fuse box and bingo bike turned over great. Now to find out if she has spark, fuel and compression. After that I'll post something about if anyone has restored one of these as a barn find and if there are any upgrades or things that go wrong i should go ahead and take care of while i have the bike completely torn apart. Thanks again Red

Rednaxs60
2008 GL1800 (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:04 am

Put an '85 Limited Edition fuelie on the road last June and drove it cross Canada from northern Ontario to Victoria BC after it had been off road for four years (have since sold this one). Doing engine work on my first '85 LTD, heads refurbished and some additional work as well - keeping this one.

Once you get the CFI system sorted out, it's the basic maintenance issues - timing belts, wheel bearings, fluid changes, lube all spines on the rear drive, steering stem bearings, brakes, tires and such - just like any other bike. If you do the timing belts and have the rad off, having it flushed and cleaned after 34 years isn't a bad idea.

Check the air suspension. The rear air shocks could be done. These can be rebuilt. There are a few threads on the various forums with DIY shock rebuild info. If you rebuild the rear shocks, you should upgrade the front fork springs. Progressive springs are most used, but there are other alternatives. A front fork oil change is always good, and renew the bushings etc.

Once this is done, should be start and ride.

Cheers

Ernest

Warbum99

Post by Warbum99 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:36 am

Well I've done the timing belts and fluid changes on these bikes before and they are super easy, however i don't think i've done any of the other things you talked about. When you say progressive springs what do you mean? is that like getting rid of the air suspension for traditional style? Also i think i've read about a rear drivetrain upgrade for these, is that a thing? And lastly The tires on this old girl i think are original, so they need to be changed any reccomendations?

Currently i have an 85 Interstate, i rebuilt one head. Put it back together and got it running smooth, however it was a quick fixer and fund the new project kind of bike. Needs some body work, just not a great looking bike. Picked this one up for dirt cheap, so i'm completely restoring it and keeping for hopefully a very long time. Came with original matching helmets, cover, maintenance log, and even the interior bags for reg and issurance. I think someone just parked it back in the 80s or early 90s and it was forgotten about for 30 years

Rednaxs60
2008 GL1800 (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:32 pm

Progressive fork springs for the front forks, direct replacement for the original front fork springs. The rear air shocks can be rebuilt with new springs and oil seal. If you are going to restore this old girl I would rebuild the original rear air shocks.

The drive train upgrade is swapping out the original for a 1500 rear end. Have to drill out the swingarm flange for the larger bolts. Can use the original shaft. The original brake caliper can also be used. There is a lot of info on this forum regarding this. If you are going to rebuild, stick with the original, just replace the wheel bearings and seals - front and rear wheels.

Tires for the '85 LTD - Michelin Commander II front and rear. A less expensive option is the Shinko Tourmaster front/rear. Have used both. I have 30K Kms on the Michelin Commanders on my '85 LTD and not at wear bars yet. I put a set of Shinko Tourmasters on a second '85 LTD (have sold since) - put some 7K Kms on them and found them to be quite good. Don't know how long the Shinkos would last.

Cheers

Ernest