oil in the radiator

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
jaimenv
Motorcycle: 1981 gl1100 Standard (Naked)
1986 gl1200 Interstate (Barney)

oil in the radiator

Post by jaimenv »

So I figure the leak is at the right side of the engine at the front cover, water pump had a minor oil leak on the weep hole no drip just residue, also pump was solid with no wobble.
Should I look else where?
while in here fixing a neutral light on all the time and changing timing belts with fresh ones.
Hints comments welcome.

Jaime
When there is some you don't want none, when there is none you want some :cry: .
You can please some people some of the time, but not all the people all of the time :roll: .
Do what you can, with what you have, while you can ;) .

jaimenv

Re: oil in the radiator

Post by jaimenv »

Megazip just notified me that my order for the right hand engine block oil port collar is cancelled due to non availability of the part.
So guess I have to make my own, more fun.
Jaime
When there is some you don't want none, when there is none you want some :cry: .
You can please some people some of the time, but not all the people all of the time :roll: .

oldishwinger
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade

Post by oldishwinger »

oil in the radiator, would suggest the oil seal at the back of the water pump is faulty. seeing you in there, would suggest new seals and water pump all round.

jaimenv

Post by jaimenv »

Yes I decided to go that route, waiting on parts.
I still want to replace the collar on the right side oil port since the original one is mangled quite badly.
Maybe I might be able to hammer shape it back so the O ring will have a better sealing support.
There's a engine rebuild shop nearby, I plan on checking with them and see if they have anything close to it.
Thanks for the heads up on replacing the pump and gasket/O ring/seal. Might as well while in there.
Jaime

gervais
Motorcycle: GoldWing 1984 GL1200A Aspencade

Post by gervais »

Remember that these oring are metric ,
some shop may ofer you too fabricate one using a special glue ,,i have try these products and it cost me a $200 bodyvalve,,

Also some motorcycle shop can have your orings since there is no technology there.

i have one water pump here as a spair ,you never know.

good luck

gervais
riviere-bleue
quebec

jaimenv

Things looking good so far

Post by jaimenv »

Had a little problem with the starter solenoid clicking and nothing, but by repeatedly hitting the starter button I got it to crank. Guess a new starter solenoid will be in the works soon.
Got it to run for about 15 20 minutes and let the fan cycle on and off a few times while checking for leaks. Adjusted idle a just over 1K. Fan kicks in about middle of the temperature gauge.
Took care of some exhaust leaks due to frozen nuts on the studs that would not let the hardware adjust properly. Sounds great now :).

Getting really close to be road worthy in my book.

Jaime