Air Suspension


Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Post Reply
Psycheonabike
Posts: 173
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:00 am
Location: England UK
Motorcycle: 1985 Aspencade

Air Suspension

Post by Psycheonabike » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:43 am



Is there a default setting when setting up the air suspension on a GL1200 '85? I can't work out the handbook at all.... πŸ€”

Thanks....



User avatar
oldishwinger
Posts: 383
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:26 pm
Location: New Zealand
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade

Re: Air Suspension

Post by oldishwinger » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:34 pm

Rear Suspension minimum 28psi max 57psi front 0 -6 psi trac systen can also play a part on how the bike rides

in real terms rear at 28 psi is roughly 4 bars on the graph, and front 0 to 6 psi is one bar

you will probably need to play with the pressures to get the best for you good luck

sorry I should have said these are for the aspencade the ltd is different again

User avatar
Aussie81Interstate
Posts: 1136
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:34 am
Location: Penrith Australia
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1500F6C Valkyrie
1982 CX500 Turbo (Historic registration - finally)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500 (sold)

Re: Air Suspension

Post by Aussie81Interstate » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:58 pm

Use a bicycle pump for the front suspension, using an air compressor you could easily blow your fork seals if over pressure.

Psycheonabike
Posts: 173
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:00 am
Location: England UK
Motorcycle: 1985 Aspencade

Re: Air Suspension

Post by Psycheonabike » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:38 pm

Thanks all.....but I'm still not clear what the brackets in the LCD are for when raising or lowering the suspension?

User avatar
oldishwinger
Posts: 383
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:26 pm
Location: New Zealand
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade

Re: Air Suspension

Post by oldishwinger » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:25 pm

Psycheonabike wrote: ↑
Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:38 pm
Thanks all.....but I'm still not clear what the brackets in the LCD are for when raising or lowering the suspension?
Not sure what you mean by brackets is it the pressure graph on you are not sure about?

User avatar
kwild
Posts: 104
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:44 am
Location: Anaheim Calif.
Motorcycle: 84 Standard
85 Aspencade

Re: Air Suspension

Post by kwild » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:36 pm



Hope this helps.
84 Standard
85 Aspencade

If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?

User avatar
oldishwinger
Posts: 383
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:26 pm
Location: New Zealand
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade

Re: Air Suspension

Post by oldishwinger » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:10 pm

kwild wrote: ↑
Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:36 pm
0220191753 (2).jpgHope this helps.
Oh right, two at the bottom allows you to pump your tires up turn key to park, unscrew the cap, to the left, screw a air lead on the valve, and and the other
end on tire. Press the button on right to activate compressor and pump tire up you will need a air pressure guage

Buttons above, to the left toggle front and rear suspension, buttons to right toggle increase or decrease air in suspension

Turn ignition to on, press and hold either front or rear suspension button, a graph will appear on the display showing the amount of air. Press either increase or decrease button and release when desired pressure is met.

Cannot be done on the fly, bike should be stationary and on centre stand

Psycheonabike
Posts: 173
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:00 am
Location: England UK
Motorcycle: 1985 Aspencade

Re: Air Suspension

Post by Psycheonabike » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:51 am

Thanks but.....I am cool re what they do. It's the setting for the suspension that I am querying.

For example on the LCD there are two brackets or parentheses that I think have something to do with The suspension settings. What I want to know is what they mean and if there is a default or starting point for the suspension and how do I gauge that from the LCD?


It's my fault for not being clear.

User avatar
oldishwinger
Posts: 383
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:26 pm
Location: New Zealand
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade

Re: Air Suspension

Post by oldishwinger » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:35 pm

Psycheonabike wrote: ↑
Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:51 am
Thanks but.....I am cool re what they do. It's the setting for the suspension that I am querying.

For example on the LCD there are two brackets or parentheses that I think have something to do with The suspension settings. What I want to know is what they mean and if there is a default or starting point for the suspension and how do I gauge that from the LCD?


It's my fault for not being clear.
thats the graph to the left of the buttons right? Im not sure what they mean bit confusing aren't they definitively something to do with the pressures, but sorry Ive never used them, I set the pressures from the lcd display and pretty much havnt taken any notice of that graph

Psycheonabike
Posts: 173
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:00 am
Location: England UK
Motorcycle: 1985 Aspencade

Re: Air Suspension

Post by Psycheonabike » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:04 pm

....its a mystery!!! :shock:

I'm still at a loss as to how to set my suspension or how to gauge what its at....or what is a starting level...??

User avatar
kwild
Posts: 104
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:44 am
Location: Anaheim Calif.
Motorcycle: 84 Standard
85 Aspencade

Re: Air Suspension

Post by kwild » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:46 pm

OK, here we go. The LED scale on your dash is a exact image of the blocks on the suspension button panel in the above pic.
FRONT
Press and hold the Front (top left) button...the LED on your dash will change from temp to air pressure. Your current pressure will be displayed. The Front will be displayed as the bottom 3 bars on dash, to increase or decrease air pressure hold Front button down and press either increase/ decrease, you will hear the compressor. I like to run from 6-8 psi front. Like the picture shows that would be 2 bars, if you increase or decrease psi the screen will add or subtract bars.
REAR
Same as front, but the bars will show in the middle of your display, add or decrease psi the same way by holding rear button and increase/decrease at the same time. I like to ride mine at about 40psi...when the third bar appears I stop. You can only make PSI adjustments while stopped and in neutral.
Look at the picture for PSI.

Simply put, I run at 2 bars front, and 3 bars rear.
84 Standard
85 Aspencade

If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?

User avatar
CrystalPistol
Posts: 627
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:07 pm
Location: Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200A
1997 GL1500SE Lehman Trike

Re: Air Suspension

Post by CrystalPistol » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:43 pm

kwild wrote: ↑
Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:46 pm
OK, here we go. The LED scale on your dash is a exact image of the blocks on the suspension button panel in the above pic.
FRONT
Press and hold the Front (top left) button...the LED on your dash will change from temp to air pressure. Your current pressure will be displayed. The Front will be displayed as the bottom 3 bars on dash, to increase or decrease air pressure hold Front button down and press either increase/ decrease, you will hear the compressor. I like to run from 6-8 psi front. Like the picture shows that would be 2 bars, if you increase or decrease psi the screen will add or subtract bars.
REAR
Same as front, but the bars will show in the middle of your display, add or decrease psi the same way by holding rear button and increase/decrease at the same time. I like to ride mine at about 40psi...when the third bar appears I stop. You can only make PSI adjustments while stopped and in neutral.
Look at the picture for PSI.

Simply put, I run at 2 bars front, and 3 bars rear.

Like he said, but I do run rear at 4 or 5 bars, even with Progressive #416 rear air/spring shocks. I also have no added air in front since I installed Progressive Suspension front fork springs, in fact … I disconnected air to front at fork inlet on right and blocked off.

When I had all OEM parts still in place, I learned that once you check or adjust the rear at their higher pressures, the "air manifold" in the fairing gets charged at a higher pressure and if you then check or adjust front, it affects the front often by over pressure. I learned to check/adjust front first then and rear second and leave alone.

Now …. I just adjust / set / check rears as there is no line hooked up to front forks. I used a bolt and nut with two brass washers to block barrel fitting and correct metric bolt with washer in fork.

I have TRAC set on 4 each side …. always, and have 20 wgt fork oil in the tubes.
Image

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 20144
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Air Suspension

Post by WingAdmin » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:32 pm

I think this is what you're looking for:

GL1200 Air Pressure Chart
GL1200 Air Pressure Chart


Psycheonabike
Posts: 173
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:00 am
Location: England UK
Motorcycle: 1985 Aspencade

Re: Air Suspension

Post by Psycheonabike » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:13 am

Thanks....what I am trying to establish is what the brackets or parenthesis are for? Do we merely load the pressure until the gauge is within those brackets?

#stillconfused!!
Attachments



User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 20144
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Air Suspension

Post by WingAdmin » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:49 pm

Psycheonabike wrote: ↑
Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:13 am
Thanks....what I am trying to establish is what the brackets or parenthesis are for? Do we merely load the pressure until the gauge is within those brackets?

#stillconfused!!
Yes, those are the recommended pressures for the front and rear suspension:

Suspension recommendations
Suspension recommendations


Psycheonabike
Posts: 173
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:00 am
Location: England UK
Motorcycle: 1985 Aspencade

Re: Air Suspension

Post by Psycheonabike » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:03 am

Hooorah!!!! That's what I was after.... πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

Psycheonabike
Posts: 173
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:00 am
Location: England UK
Motorcycle: 1985 Aspencade

Re: Air Suspension

Post by Psycheonabike » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:04 am

Still a really bumoy ride tho even in flat surfaces. New set of Avon Cobras on too..... bearings all good etc... ???

User avatar
oldishwinger
Posts: 383
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:26 pm
Location: New Zealand
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade

Re: Air Suspension

Post by oldishwinger » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:01 pm

Psycheonabike wrote: ↑
Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:04 am
Still a really bumoy ride tho even in flat surfaces. New set of Avon Cobras on too..... bearings all good etc... ???
the trac system can also have a bearing on the ride, as it increases or decreases the amount of compression in the front forks. the trac has to set the same on both sides of the front wheel

User avatar
oldishwinger
Posts: 383
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:26 pm
Location: New Zealand
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade

Re: Air Suspension

Post by oldishwinger » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:09 pm

oldishwinger wrote: ↑
Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:01 pm
Psycheonabike wrote: ↑
Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:04 am
Still a really bumoy ride tho even in flat surfaces. New set of Avon Cobras on too..... bearings all good etc... ???
the trac system can also have a bearing on the ride, as it increases or decreases the amount of compression in the front forks. the trac has to set the same on both sides of the front wheel
I run on avon cobras too minimum psi pressures off the avon web site are 40 psi rear and 36 psi I use these if no luggage and just me, with luggage, and me 41 psi rear and 37 psi front

Just a thought, the avon cobras come in radial as well as bias I have heard of a situation where radials where mistakenly put on

Psycheonabike
Posts: 173
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:00 am
Location: England UK
Motorcycle: 1985 Aspencade

Re: Air Suspension

Post by Psycheonabike » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:54 am

I use same psi. TRAC is set at 2 should I change this. It feels like she is sporadically bobbing up n down as I say even when clutch is in or cruising slowly in neutral.

User avatar
oldishwinger
Posts: 383
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:26 pm
Location: New Zealand
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade

Re: Air Suspension

Post by oldishwinger » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:16 pm

Psycheonabike wrote: ↑
Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:54 am
I use same psi. TRAC is set at 2 should I change this. It feels like she is sporadically bobbing up n down as I say even when clutch is in or cruising slowly in neutral.
Well 1 and 2 are the softest settings 3 would be considered about medium I think. Sorry but I cant see how that would create a bobbing up and down effect. Its a strange one, with all the changes you have made its still happening, Im afraid its got me a bit stumped, it all a guess but have you changed the oil in the forks? are the rims ok, are the new tires seated properly

Psycheonabike
Posts: 173
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:00 am
Location: England UK
Motorcycle: 1985 Aspencade

Re: Air Suspension

Post by Psycheonabike » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:07 am

Will check rims again.

Old tyres gave same symptoms

Not changed fork oil...big job?

User avatar
oldishwinger
Posts: 383
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:26 pm
Location: New Zealand
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade

Re: Air Suspension

Post by oldishwinger » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:15 am

Psycheonabike wrote: ↑
Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:07 am
Will check rims again.

Old tyres gave same symptoms

Not changed fork oil...big job?

Well, moderate with a slight twist of risk might be way of describing the job, and im not even sure that would help, however if the oil hasn't been changed is low or wrong weight never know it's worth a shot would suggest a service manual for the job. Be careful removing top nuts they are under pressure from the springs and can fly off when being unscrewed. And putting the screws back on also creates new sweat words. Aft fluid is recommended by Honda, it needs to be measured accurately. Draining is from plug at bottom of forks.

Like a said, a service manual would be a big help doing the job.



Post Reply