Is this a DIY job?

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
Psycheonabike
Motorcycle: 1985 Aspencade

Is this a DIY job?

Post by Psycheonabike »

Starter motor gave up. Anyone used a rebuild kit? If so where did you get it (UK)? I am tempted to take it off and have a look but I understand there's a possibility of the cog falling back into the engine AND the starter bolts strip when trying to remove it. Scare mongering or true? I'd rather pay the garage in case that happened so they can extract then.

Is there anything that can be done without a rebuild kit can anything be 'fixed' or is that a must have?

Thanks...

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Re: Is this a DIY job?

Post by Rednaxs60 »

There's a DIY tutorial on this forum. It will guide you through a rebuild/clean process. You'll probably only need a new set of brushes. The gear wheel on the inside will not fall off. You can just take apart and clean as well. Here is a picture of the internal, not enough room between the starter gear and rear case to fall off:

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

froche
Motorcycle: 1985 Goldwing Aspencade (GL1200A)
2002 GL1800

Former bikes;
2000 R1100RT
2005 Suzuki Bandit
1979 Yamaha XS1100
1978 Yamaha XS1100 Special
1990 Yamaha XV250
1980 Yamaha XV750
1979 Honda CB750
1968 Triumph Bonneville T120
1973 Honda CB450
1968 Harley Davidson Sportster
1974 Honda CB750
1968 Honda CL72

Post by froche »

Well it was for me, but some guys I have known can't drive a nail into a board with a hammer. I will assume that you have some mechanical skills so I say it is pretty easy. The hardest part is removal and replacement, Everybody says you have to do it on the side-stand else a cog will fall out (away?) but on the side-stand its out and in easily. You do have to drop the exhaust header and I don't remember if i had to move the crash bar (but I had to move one time but can't remember what for), so new crush washers are needed for retighting the exhaust.

My starter sounded like it needed a new one and after I took it off and put a rebuild kit in it, regreased the gears and reassembled it it was like a new starter. i bought a rebuild kit on Amazon for about 17.00 dollars (US) and it had all the parts I needed and then some.

Clean the entire starter out wiping everything off and then you choice of cleaner (I used brake cleaner), including the grease or hardened grease. You will need to use new brushes (included), might need new bushings (included), and re-grease the front gears heavily. OI needed an o ring and didn't have one but I noticed that Honda left a spot where one would fit, so I assembled it and tightened the half's and used some black permatex (silicone) to fill the spot where on o ring was, ans wiped off the excess. Looks just like a stock oring!

As I remember you will have to grind an open end wrench to fit the bolt where the cable attaches. I used a cheap one and its really thin, maybe a tappet wrench could work.

Apparently you can't get them on Amazon UK but you can on ebay UK, have a look at
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Starter-Rebu ... ctupt=true

Looks just like the one I had except looks like it has the orings!

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol »

I also did my starter brushes and did a ground wire from brush plate to housing way back when. Really brought starter to life with good grounding.

Not to fear monger, but on the '85 and '84 models, the gear will stay in the chain as stated … but if the bike is vertical, it will swing back into case out of sight when the starter is pulled. '86s and maybe some late '85s had a guide to prevent such, but my '85 had no such guide in place which I cured when I did the stator in 1997 or '98.

When I did my starter brushes and ground mod, I used ratchet straps to secure my 1200 in a leaning manner over to left as if on side stand … secured to 4" steel column in basement, and when I pulled starter, gear stayed in place.

Big chore was working on the left side of bike, removing frame piece with stand and dropping exhaust while bike was leaning towards me.
Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger »

You can do most of the work with bike on the center stand, the starter gear hanging in the chain will swing away from the hole the starter fits in when you pull the starter. But no problem, when you go to put the starter back in, put the bike on the side stand, the gear and chain will swing back to where they need to be so you can re-install the starter. Once the starter is seated into the gear you can go back to the center stand to complete the job.
♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark

Psycheonabike
Motorcycle: 1985 Aspencade

Post by Psycheonabike »

Nah....managed to get the starter out. Definitely wasn't OEM. Filthy as F*** inside. Cleaned etc ....bench test didn't work so tried refitting (don't ask me why) and no go. 😔

Put new starter solenoid on whilst I was there and checked plenty of power getting to Starter, just dead as a dodo!

Will have to replace.

Not too bad a job getting it out or back in though. Three hours in all...