Two Fuel Filters?

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
rrod1393
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Interstate
2000 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic

Two Fuel Filters?

Post by rrod1393 »

I have picked up my GL1200 last year from a guys driveway where is sat for eight years under a tree. I got it running and took it on a couple of trips last year and really have enjoyed it. I thought it was running well but still needed some fine tuning. I recently took off the carb to do a DEEP CLEANING and still noticed that I still had some gunk in the fuel bowls. I also noticed that the float level was way off and thanks to this site, I checked and corrected it. Now, last year I soaked the tank in vinegar for five days, replaced the fuel filter and fuel pump and cleaned the carbs. I think the fuel filter is still picking up some crust from the bottom of the tank that I could not get off from the soak or me trying to reach it. I did not pull the tank. Anyway, I knew the I would have to be on top of the fuel filter as it will get gunked up quickly and need to be replaced sooner that later. I was thinking about adding an additional fuel filter after the pump. Does anyone do this? I thought I saw a pic/vid of someone with a fuel filter after the pump. I plan on replacing all the fuel lines after the pump anyway so now is the perfect time. Let me know your thoughts and suggestions. Thanks.

rooferx
Motorcycle: 85 interstate,, the 15 is gone sadface

Re: Two Fuel Filters?

Post by rooferx »

How about 2 before the pump,,,,very tight after the pump,

rrod1393

Post by rrod1393 »

It's pretty tight before the pump too! lol

Delsilver
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate

Post by Delsilver »

I Think you would be better off looking for a larger capacity filter, which will take longer to plug up, if you can squeeze one in.
If you put in 2 filters in line with the same micron rating the first is going to plug up and not allow anything to get to the second one.
I realise this is a different situation but the same principle applies' on my diesel truck, Dodge 5.9 Cummins.
I run a 10 micron secondary filter to get all the big chunks with a 2 micron primary filter to get the finer material. this way the primary almost never has to be changed.
Unfortunately I have never seen different rated filters for gasoline in a size small enough to use on our bikes.
You can get them for marine use but they are way to big to be of any use in this application.
I carry a spare filter with me in case I get a tank of bad gas.
What you could do if really concerned is take the out put line off the pump, put a hose on long enough to put back into the tank and cycle through changing filters as they plug up till you have clean fuel.

rrod1393

Post by rrod1393 »

I think with the napa fuel filter being clear that I put in, I'll be able to monitor it a bit better.