No change......

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
Psycheonabike
Motorcycle: 1985 Aspencade

No change......

Post by Psycheonabike »

Feeling pretty uninspired at the moment.
Just taken my '85 GL1200 out for a first real ride since trying to trace and fix that massively irritating bumpiness that seems to be coming from the rear of the bike. Just took her on the flattest and smoothest piece of road you can imagine. It's still there, no different and feels like riding over spanners!! Getting to the point where I am tempted to sell her on now as I cannot identify what is going on. Here's what I have done up to now so anything else please feel free to suggest away!! Bear in mind it happens with the engine off so not sparks or carbs.

1. New tyres (both seated properly and correct inflation)
2. Rims are true
3. Balanced carbs after removing and cleaning thoroughly
4. Installed progressive fork springs and changed oil
5. Removed final drive and fitted oil seal (that fixed the leak at the boot)
6. Installed New U-joint but I am pretty sure the old one was good too
7. Overhauled rear brake caliper
8. I've tried every permutation of TRAC and Air Suspension imaginable.
9. All bearings are good - though not changed Swingarm bearings.

Pretty much done now :(

Instinct tells me it has to be in the last part of the drive line.....but dunno where (?)

Solve this and you're a genius!!!

Aussie81Interstate
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1500F6C Valkyrie
1982 CX500 Turbo (Historic registration - finally)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500 (sold)

Re: No change......

Post by Aussie81Interstate »

Does the rear wheel spin freely, and with no noise?? Can you apply a small amount of brake pressure - does the noise go away?

Does the swingarm actually move - or you just think it does? Have the rear shock absorbers been binding - are the shock rubber mounting grommets all supple and not rounded out or dried and cracked ??? - Could be the top shock mounting bolt/rubber has degraded... had that happen on my Valkyrie - new rubbbers installed and a much smoother ride.

I would be disassembling the swingarm to make sure one of the bearings is not seized..

Psycheonabike

Post by Psycheonabike »

Thanks, wheel spins ok and brakes not binding. Rear shocks are in need of a service but instinctively it doesn't feel like shocks.

Especially if you consider the bumpiness is there at 10 mph on a VERY flat and smooth road surface with rhe engine off and in neutral...?!?

It's important to note too that the bump is NOT uniform so definitily not as simple as a bent rim or dodgy tyre.

Aussie81Interstate
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1500F6C Valkyrie
1982 CX500 Turbo (Historic registration - finally)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500 (sold)

Post by Aussie81Interstate »

Worn universal on the tail shaft??
bent tail shaft?

If it is bumpy - you surely should be able to hear or feel some sort of noise/vibration as the tyre is being rotated... maybe if you can spin the tyre or have it in neutral and running on the centre stand then someone can feel or use a stethescope to Hear any noise from different points of the chassis, etc...
You should be able to narrow your search down.

Have you checked the lash on the rear splines.. as in how much play does the rear wheel have when in gear - a measurement of some sort might help here as well.

Psycheonabike

Post by Psycheonabike »

Aussie81Interstate wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:22 am
Worn universal on the tail shaft??
bent tail shaft?

If it is bumpy - you surely should be able to hear or feel some sort of noise/vibration as the tyre is being rotated... maybe if you can spin the tyre or have it in neutral and running on the centre stand then someone can feel or use a stethescope to Hear any noise from different points of the chassis, etc...
You should be able to narrow your search down.

Have you checked the lash on the rear splines.. as in how much play does the rear wheel have when in gear - a measurement of some sort might help here as well.
I can definitely tell you that there's no noise associated with this problem. It feels like something is binding or raising and falling again repeatedly.

Maz
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000K1
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200
1993 Suzuki GS500E

Post by Maz »

I'm still putting my money on either fork stiction, rear shock mounts being seized or swing arm bearings. I can't remember if you said you tried the swing arm movement with the shocks off or not.
Maz

Ironically, Common Sense is the LEAST common of all senses!