clutch

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
mogthetrucker
Motorcycle: 1983 gl1200 interstate

clutch

Post by mogthetrucker »

hi guys . any ideas please . gl1200 1983 interstate . clutch is dragging terribly . have had engine out twice for new plates and springs , new master cylinder and slave cylinder [couldnt see anything wrong with old ones} .engine out second time was basicly to check i hadnt done anything wrong the first time . so its clonking into gear and trying to pull away and wont go back into neutral until switched off.cheers guys

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Re: clutch

Post by CrystalPistol »

Tell us about clutch lever travel, when does clutch feel like pulling as you let out?

Have you bled the clutch line.
Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

mogthetrucker

Post by mogthetrucker »

lever feels fine . just tried bleeding it again no different . lever bite is approx 1 cm from bar but still trying to move forward at full pull also a swine to get back in to neutral when running in gear . switch off and straight into neutral .its weird .its as if push rod to short or pushing crank forward and not releasing clutch propaly. forgot to mention changed whole clutch from known good clutch and still the same

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500A
2004 NRX1800 Rune SOLD

Post by dingdong »

When you had the engine out did you remove/open the clutch scavenger pump and inspect for wear or clogging from debris? Hard to get into neutral from 1st or 2nd when engine is warm and running is an indication of the scavenger pump not keeping the clutch housing emptied of oil. There is also the possibility of the tranny shift forks being worn.

mogthetrucker

Post by mogthetrucker »

scavanger pump ? sacavanger pump ? whats that then .lol obviously i didnt check that but i will . engine should fall out by its self now .lol and i think ill split the caseings and do a full rebuild along with shifter forks thanks very much for the info and ill keep yous updated

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

There are two oil pumps in the engine. The pressure pump at the front of the engine, and the scavenger pump at the back.

Main Pump
Main Pump

Scavenge Pump
Scavenge Pump

grand rouge
Motorcycle: 1985 GL 1200L...... and an owned since new 83 Suzuki GS 1100E

Post by grand rouge »

Just a thought. Mogthetrucker, with clutch steels and fibers properly installed and the clutch lever bushing and pushrod in 'as new' condition: with clutch engagement 1 CM from bar..... I think the simplest explanation is that there is still air in the system. The clutch operations you outline are Exactly what I experienced with my "family rescue" LTD when purchased from Bro in Law in 2016. The clutch master cylinder had been bypassing and clutch lever action was not consistent. I re kitted both the master and the slave cylinder. Bled it.....or so I thought. Lever action was consistent but the 1 CM deal was as you described.

My solution... First, I replaced the oem bleeder screw with the check ball type...(pushes fluid out but not allowing backward fluid flow.....makes bleeding so much easier....)

I backed off the banjo fitting at the master cylinder to expel air there..lots of tiny bubbles in fluid. Tightened banjo bolt. Then gentle pumps with bleeder open, clear hose with end submerged in fluid.....just in case speedy bleeder could allow back flow.... Problem solved. Clutch engagement essentially 'begins' an inch (2.5 CM) from bar...factory grip. And Neutral..always easy.