1987 GL1200A Turn signal wiring diagram

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
Rgravelle
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200A

1987 GL1200A Turn signal wiring diagram

Post by Rgravelle »

Hey everyone. I had posted a while back on this basket case I am trying resurrect. I have just about everything working but the turn signals. I have downloaded the wiring diagram and the OEM service manual and nothing looks correct. I did notice that the OEM service manual appears to be for all others countries but the U.S.A. bikes. All fuses are good everything works but the buttons for the LCD cluster and the turn signals. 4way hazards do work.

oldishwinger
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade

Re: 1987 GL1200A Turn signal wiring diagram

Post by oldishwinger »

check the grounds and bulbs at each corner of the bike, to the right of the handlebars down near the radiator cap, is the turn signal relay, check the wiring and the relay.

with the ignition on, with the turn signal switch either left or right, you can usually here the relay clicking, if not, a bad relay might be part of the problem.

at the bottom of of the steering head, under a plate, is the automatic turn signal cut off its common for the wires to be disconnected here.

good luck

Charlie1Horse
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade
1992 GL1500I Interstate

Post by Charlie1Horse »

You may need to clean your turn signal switch. It could be too dirty to make a connection. If it is a basket case, as you say, it could be very possible.
Russell

Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.
Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.

Rgravelle
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200A

Post by Rgravelle »

Thanks oldishwinger Apparently there was a wire disconnected to the steering switch at the bottom of the steering head. Pulled it out everything came disconnected, plugged everything back in and now everything works. Not sure how the self-canceling feature works yet, well see how that works when I get it on the road.

oldishwinger
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade

Post by oldishwinger »

Rgravelle wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 9:43 am
Thanks oldishwinger Apparently there was a wire disconnected to the steering switch at the bottom of the steering head. Pulled it out everything came disconnected, plugged everything back in and now everything works. Not sure how the self-canceling feature works yet, well see how that works when I get it on the road.
the switch, can at times cancel a little early, depending on the attitude of the bike, this is normal