The hat trick - I’m done!

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
TheRepoGuy
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200I Interstate
1985 GL1200A Aspencade

The hat trick - I’m done!

Post by TheRepoGuy »

Alright - I had the hat trick of “fack me’s!” Tonight with this old girl!! First the starter didn’t engage at all, second when I removed said starter the sprocket fell out of the chain and lastly the neutral diode is that sits above the battery no longer has the magic smoke in it. I’m done for the night! — 

Top it off - the solenoid is screwed ha! Yup - I’m pissed off but all I can do is laugh about it!

SO - back to square one; Starter went with my girlfriends ex-husband for a deep cleaning in an ultrasonic bath; new solenoid ordered, The Neutral Diode baffles me completely - When I posted this via FB, someone suggested I plugged in the starter solenoid the wrong way.

And yes - I ordered more magic smoke front amazon 🤣

DaveO430
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800
2004 Suzuki DR200

Re: The hat trick - I’m done!

Post by DaveO430 »

Looks like an aftermarket solenoid and they are NOT wired the same. Happens all the time, plug it in without checking and it will smoke something.

TheRepoGuy
1985 GL1200A Aspencade

Post by TheRepoGuy »

DaveO430 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:29 pm
Looks like an aftermarket solenoid and they are NOT wired the same. Happens all the time, plug it in without checking and it will smoke something.
It definitely was - need to figure out what’s what on the top ha!

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol »

Wonder if that aftermarket solenoid even has the internal connections as the Honda OEM did?

Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

TheRepoGuy
1985 GL1200A Aspencade

Post by TheRepoGuy »

CrystalPistol wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:10 pm
Wonder if that aftermarket solenoid even has the internal connections as the Honda OEM did?

Starter Relay wireing update 1998 800w.jpg
Probably not - I may wire it directly from the plug with spade terminals to eliminate this from happening again.

steppin stone
Motorcycle: 1986 goldwing 1200 Aspencade

Post by steppin stone »

I just had the same issue with my solenoid and connector melted completely and I ordered the same part just got in from a ride and noticed the new connector wire's hot not melting hot but hot.

TheRepoGuy
1985 GL1200A Aspencade

Post by TheRepoGuy »

steppin stone wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:59 pm
I just had the same issue with my solenoid and connector melted completely and I ordered the same part just got in from a ride and noticed the new connector wire's hot not melting hot but hot.
This one came From EBay; haven’t heard a word from the seller as far as a replacement goes either 🙄

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol »

steppin stone wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:59 pm
Not sure y'all got my "drift".

I'm writing about the internal connection across two terminals within the Honda OEM Solenoid.

Originally, power to run the bike went into solenoid from "red & white" wires from Reg/Rec into solenoid through spade terminal in plug, then back out to rest of bike through a second connector within the plug (same black one on top of solenoid) , and that resulted in two un-needed points of resistance, heat, melted plugs & even toasted wires resulted …
… and so Honda revised the plug (in plug update kit form) to include a jumper outside of the solenoid represented in blue in this pic. No other changes, just a second/redundant parallel path for current bypassing connector.
It's that "internal path" that I wonder if is included in aftermarket solenoids, as not all 1200s got the revised/updated plug change. I found it by accident when updating my near melted solenoid plug back then.
Look closely …. when updating, there were no changes to OEM solenoid, there's that internal path still there.

Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)