a bundle of issues.

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
avitiq
Motorcycle: 1985 Honda GL1200 L

a bundle of issues.

Post by avitiq »

my gl1200 limited is my only method of transportation at the moment and I was looking for some help. I do some basic maintenance myself but I'm a 19-year old broke college kid with limited knowledge on more complicated fixes.

Recently my bike was having some issues starting. I would have to press the start button a couple of time to get the bike started. After that, there would be a lot of white smoke coming out of the exhaust. I didn't smell like oil more like coolant. the smoke wasn't blue. I did some googling and figured that changing the spark plugs would be a good start (I changed the oil a little over a week ago). my spark plug cables are thin ones that don't cover the entire hole around the spark plug (bought the bike from a guy who customized it and made some changes). I took out the spark plugs and they were filthy with grime and muck and there was also small leaves and dirk around the hole that spark plugs screw into. I used a vacuum hose to get it out but I'm thinking some particulate might have gotten in there. I followed all the instructions I could find on propperly installing spark plugs (gapping, screwing in carefully).

Symptoms:
Ever since then the bike has even more trouble starting and there's a loud popping coming from the exhaust at idle. Also, I tried to ride it around the block and it was a no go. died a couple of times and felt very weak. I didn't notice much more smoke when I tried to start it today. there is a hose that connects to both sets of carbs (I think) that is cracked pretty bad. I hoping that might be the fix. I was wondering what you guys think. I live in Austin, TX where there's only one mechanic who works on old jap bikes. Is this something I could fix myself or is it better just to tow to the shop? Should I double check the spark plugs?

Side notes: the bike overall is in pretty good condition. it doesn't have any fairings and everything is pretty much stock except those cables that go over the spark plugs. Can post pictures if needed.