Help with 1987 GL1200I

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
Curt1961
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200i interstate

Help with 1987 GL1200I

Post by Curt1961 »

I recently purchased a 1987 GL1200I. Was told it has a bad water pump and that is all. Radiator already removed and housing removed. Checked this site and found out that if I moved the impeller by hand and shaft had play then indeed water pump bad. So I removed the transmission cover and removed the pump. But the bottom of the case full of horrible black sludge and little metal shavings. I do believe that many ball bearings have disintegrated. There are only 7 in the bearing now. Is this the shavings and could they have made it into the engine. If so how do I get them out safely??? Further I hope I didnt make a fatal mistake but I cleaned the open part of the case with carburetor cleaner. Did I ruin my clutch by doing this???

victorvmg
Motorcycle: honda 1984 gl1200 interstate

Re: Help with 1987 GL1200I

Post by victorvmg »

the sludge that you found (oil) should of leaked out thru the weep hole . one symptom of a bad water pump is oil and or antifreeze leaking thru the weep hole. (small puddle by front of engine) check to see if the weep hole is clogged. no, the metal shavings wont contaminate the oil which the wet clutch is in. that was one the purposes of the weep hole.cleaning the case is good,would not recommend carb cleaner ,can cause O-rings to swell.I just replaced my water pump on my 87' interstate.you have to replace the pump as a unit. also needed is a water pump gasket kit w/O-rings.it is a fairly easy job but time consuming.when finished run distilled water thru the system a couple of times.oil change would also be in order. I used vasoline to hold new o-rings in place . after replacing about every part on my interstate I would highly recommend using using hondabond 4 gasket sealer.I lightly coat both sides install bolts hand tight, let set up and do final specified torque.never one leak.hope this helps.

Curt1961
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200i interstate

Re: Help with 1987 GL1200I

Post by Curt1961 »

Thank You for taking time to reply. Have been very concerned. Good advice and I will follow it.