GL1200 carbs?

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
tricky

GL1200 carbs?

Post by tricky »

You helped me out last year, gave me a place to start looking.
See if you can do it again on my other ASPY

The bike was running last spring, how ever due to circumstances I am unable to ride.
I am trying to get the bikes in at least running condition so I can unload them.

The bike starts with the choke closed however when I try to open the choke or open the throttle the engine quits?

rzaugg
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Aspencade
1989 GL1500 Aspencade

Re: GL1200 carbs?

Post by rzaugg »

If it ran fine last year, my guess would be that it just needs to run some. My '84 used to do the same thing early in the year and as the weather got better and I put more miles on it, it would not need the choke as long. If you are not able to ride, my recommendation would be to get fresh gas in it, put some seafoam in there too, run it up to operating temp., revving it up once in a while. You may have to do this several times but it should improve.

tricky

Post by tricky »

I wish I could rev it up, as soon as I try to increase the revs, the engine quits

julimike54
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A original owner
2016 HD FLTRU

Post by julimike54 »

Could be a vacuum leak?
Riding anything is a good day!
Mike

tricky

Post by tricky »

Ok never thought about that, will check around.

The bike hasnt been out of the garage for a few years and decided to get them running again.
I had a problem with a connection on the pulse gens but got steered in the right direction and found poor connector.

so after that it was running good and then this problem cropped up.

tricky

Post by tricky »

Is it possible that the IGN CTRL unit might be faulty? or that lack of vacuum to it might be the problem.

I did check for vacuum while it was idling and there was none present, I hooked up a vacuum meter to the plugged end of the three way tube, while idling no movement on the needle, when I try to increase the throttle the needle would swing widely back and forth until the engine quit.

I will swap it with the one from the other bike I know is running fine?