2nd gl1200 head gasket falure

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
victorvmg
Motorcycle: honda 1984 gl1200 interstate

2nd gl1200 head gasket falure

Post by victorvmg »

at my wits end with this bike.less than 3,000 mi on aftermarket head gasket on left head. 150 compression and made sure the heads were true,also tourqed to specs. now should I toss aftermarket gasket (purchased a set) and try to find a oem gasket ? where would I be able to purchase one? also would a copper gasket spray help? same spot a tiny hole by the water jacket causing antifreeze in the header.small amount of white smoke on start up and stops.why is that material so thin by the looks of the head gasket it seems that it will fail sooner or later.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500A
2004 NRX1800 Rune SOLD

Re: 2nd gl1200 head gasket falure

Post by dingdong »

After market head gaskets are prone to failure. They are still available from Honda. Here is a parts list from Western Honda. Good prices. (Compared to others) lol
I always use Honda Bond as a sealer, very very thin coating, on head gaskets. Some say to install dry but the service manual says to use a sealer like Honda Bond.

https://shop.westernhonda.com/fiche_sec ... fveh=13042

victorvmg
Motorcycle: honda 1984 gl1200 interstate

Post by victorvmg »

thanks for the info. Honda bond I have will give it a try.

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol »

I used to have a 340 Dart Swinger and the engine had 5 head bolts around 4 cylinders, but only 4 around the other 4. Head gasket failure on a HC 340 was not unheard of then. After a second set of head gaskets, a parts man at the local dealership put me onto Rubbermaid Aluminum High Heat Engine Paint, said to just spray even coat on the gaskets first, let dry, add second coat as I installed them. I have done that on all my head gaskets since, have never had a failure since either.

The key was high heat paint with aluminum particles. Rubbermaid is no more, but there are others.

Did it on a GTO once, suffered a timing chain failure at the drag strip one day, bent 4 intake and 4 exhaust valves, had to pry heads loose the paint held so good. I did it on my Tridents, my Norton Commando Combat 750, every head gasket since, even my Wheel Horse, when reinstalling heads, good trick.

Make sure everything is spotless clean and NO gouging.
Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

victorvmg wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:15 am
at my wits end with this bike.less than 3,000 mi on aftermarket head gasket on left head. 150 compression and made sure the heads were true,also tourqed to specs. now should I toss aftermarket gasket (purchased a set) and try to find a oem gasket ? where would I be able to purchase one? also would a copper gasket spray help? same spot a tiny hole by the water jacket causing antifreeze in the header.small amount of white smoke on start up and stops.why is that material so thin by the looks of the head gasket it seems that it will fail sooner or later.
It seems to be a fairly universal experience among Wing owners, those who try to save a few dollars using aftermarket head gaskets end up re-doing their heads shortly afterwards using Honda OEM gaskets, which last.