It’s SO CLOSE!!

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
TheRepoGuy
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200I Interstate
1985 GL1200A Aspencade

It’s SO CLOSE!!

Post by TheRepoGuy »

Alright folks - I’m closer than I have been in a long time with this 85 Interstate! Have fuel getting to the carbs (had to pull them again and fix a gasket to stop a leaky bowl ha!) I have spark at all four plugs now which is huge only after replacing the PG’s did that happen and have airflow. So in theory I have everything to get this old thing to fire over and nothing.

Changed the battery out to an AGM with higher cranking amps, plugs look solid and not fouled out or dirty. By process of elimination the CDI is good (in theory) since I’ve got spark but it’s still not cranking -

I’m about at my wits end with this project, while I still have two others that run just fine I don’t want to give up on this one because it has to be something inherently simple is my guess!!

Anyone have an idea what to check or where to start?

Only thing that I can draw up is I’m missing a couple screws on the black plastic piece which sits on top of the carb assembly possibly creating a vacuum leak(maybe?) or I’ve got something else totally wrong and it’s just not going to crank
Nate

rzaugg
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Aspencade
1989 GL1500 Aspencade

Re: It’s SO CLOSE!!

Post by rzaugg »

Been scratching my head for a while on this one.

Don't worry about the screws on the plastic cover. Front side of the carbs doesn't matter. Would be the same as having the nut on top of the air filter loose by 1/2 of a turn and would only cause a problem if you are riding off road in lots of dust and dirt.

The three things that you need for an engine to run are: Fuel, Fire, and Compression. The only thing that comes to mind that you haven't done is verify that your camshafts are timed right (or if you did I missed that one). I wasn't really involved in this one from the start, so I am making some assumptions. Other option is that fuel to the carbs, doesn't necessarily mean fuel through the carbs. One thing that I have done before is to put gasoline in a spray bottle and spray a bit into the intake manifold while cranking, if it fires and runs for a second or two, then it is a fuel related problem. Carb cleaner spray might work, starting fluid would definitely work, but I wouldn't recommend it. I usually stick with gasoline, Ether is really hard on these little engines.
Sounds like the fire side is taken care of, so I am leaning toward fuel or compression. That's all I can think of right now.

Hope this helps

Rick