New Wing owner, some maintenance questions

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
One-T-Matt
Motorcycle: 86 GL1200 ASPENCADE

New Wing owner, some maintenance questions

Post by One-T-Matt »

Hey, I just got a 1986 GL1200 Aspencade yesterday. I traded my Honda Elite 250 scooter for it, which, I know is a weird trade, but I wanted a touring bike and he wanted something smaller than a Goldwing for running around town, so here we are.

The OP was not at all mechanically inclined, so I kind of need to go through the important stuff before I feel safe riding the bike (for reference it has 64K miles on it). I spent about an hour on it yesterday riding it home and it sort of bucks and stutters at low RPM's, and the suspension bottoms out frequently. The left bank of cylinders also runs hotter than the right from what I can tell. I checked the charge, and it was at 14V with the engine revved up, so I'm fairly confident the stator is OK, but I checked it in the pouring rain in a hurry, so I'll recheck it.

My list so far is:
  • Check Valves
  • Clean Carbs
  • Check charging voltage
  • Investigate the air suspension/bottoming out
  • Full fluid change (coolant, oil, final drive, brake fluid)
  • General check of critical nuts and bolts (motor mounts, swingarm, triple clamps, brakes, etc)
  • Fix the clock, its not working, and I'll go nuts having a clock I cant use on the bike
  • A general cleanup (It lived in a barn and smells like it, I think I may find a mouse or two in the airbox)
Is there anything else I need to be on the lookout for and check while I have all the bodywork and bags off?

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Re: New Wing owner, some maintenance questions

Post by CrystalPistol »

Valves are hydraulic on the 1200 so what are you checking? Before dismantling the carbs, run it some, run a little Sea Foam in the gas. .There is a mod that improved low speed running, response of my 1200 involving the placement of small washers under the needles to fatten up low end without hurting mileage in my case.

When adjusting air suspension, I learned to set front forks first (this before I went with Progressives and NO air in front) … then adjust rear. While bike is on center stand, grab front wheel and try to roll it back into bike with one hand as you feel for any looseness. Stem bearings are tapered rollers, but it doesn't hurt to check for wear.

Get a book on maintenance, check or even change final drive lube. Check brake pads. Check spark plugs and make sure drain holes in the spark plug wells are OPEN. I'd blead new DOT 4 brake fluid into frt & rear brakes and clutch line. I'd maybe even drain and refill forks. Fuel filter … likely could use a new one. Check that the air filter is good.

Pull battery side cover (left side of bike) and look at plugs to both front of battery from stator and at the one on top of starter solenoid to rear of battery. How do they look?

I had a rule, NEVER ride the 1200 without first checking to make sure SADDLE BAGS are LATCHED & LOCKED.

Below is how I got the needle tip back in 1999. Any similar sized small washers are likely OK.
Don Seitz per Email
In August 1986, I took delivery of a new 1985 GL1200 Aspencade. As I rode it, I noted the carburetion appeared to be on the "lean" side. It hesitated, especially coming off the line from a stop, and would "flutter" during cruise.

A friend of mine raced motorcycles, so I inquired of him how I could richen the Main Jetting. Here's the situation: Earlier motorcycle carburetor main needle jets allowed the rider to move the Jet Needles up or down via notches in the Needles. I found the GL1200's CV (Constant Velocity) carburetors do not have this feature. There are two methods to enrich the fuel mixture;
1) replace all four Main Jets,
or
2) place shims beneath the Jet Needles. My racing friend said "shimming" is a common practice and does not require the removal and disassembly of the carburetors. A cost and labor effective
improvement.

With 19,000 miles logged on the Wing, I made the following modification to enrich the Main Jetting. Since then, I have ridden with this modification and now have 164,000 miles on the clock. Enriching eliminated the "hesitation," and I also discovered several benefits. The engine was "snappier," and I routinely get 45 mpg to the low 50's mpg. Ridden conservatively, the best mileage was 58 miles per gallon, one up. The "worst" I ever had was 38 mpg, and that was really "pushing" it.

At Play Co.'s model department, I purchased a bag of 8 each, "Du-Bro," flat P/N #2109, brass, 3mm thick washers, and inspected all the washers. To remove any burrs, I hand-lapped each washer on Crocus Cloth. The diameter of all the washers were measured with a 0 to 1-inch micrometer to be 0.268", meaning that when seated on the "flat" beneath the Jet Needles and they didn't contact the "cone" inside the Vacuum Piston. This is critical. In addition, I measured the thickness of all the washers. The thickness of the four washers
used were: 0.0233," 0.0226," 0.0235," and 0.02229."

Access in removing the Vacuum Chamber Covers, Diaphragm/Vacuum Pistons, Springs, Jet Needle Holders, and Jet Needles to install the four washers should be performed by the following: On Aspencade and Interstate, remove the fairing lower covers and the inner covers. Remove the top compartment. The removal of the foregoing will provide easy-access to the four screws securing the Vacuum Covers on the four carburetors.

Perform the removal of the Vacuum Covers one at a time. Beneath the Vacuum Cover, the Spring will be located. Take caution so as not to allow the Spring to "fly" out. Push the Jet Needle Holder in and turn it 60 degrees with a screwdriver. Then remove the Jet Needle Holder, Spring (very small, second one) and Jet Needle from the Piston. Slide one of the "Du-Bro" washer over the tip of the Jet Needle. The washer "raises" the Jet Needle, hence "enriching" the Main Jetting mixture. Be careful so the Jet Needle is NOT damaged! Reinstall the carburetors parts in reverse sequence. Inspect the Vacuum Piston for wear, nicks, scratches or other damage. Check the Diaphragm for damage. Make sure the Piston moves up and down freely in the carburetor. CAUTION: Do NOT interchange Vacuum Pistons between carburetors!

Congratulations! Now, move onto the other carburetors, performing the same as described above.

Notes: I replaced the "stock" air filter with a K&N re-usable at 7,000. It has served me very well for the past 164,000 miles, thank you! I highly recommend K&N's air filter.
Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Post by virgilmobile »

Replace the timing belts asap or sooner.

One-T-Matt

Post by One-T-Matt »

That reminds me, is the 1200 an interference engine?

virgilmobile
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Post by virgilmobile »

Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes

One-T-Matt

Post by One-T-Matt »

Haha, Gates T070 belts are $7 on amazon, definitely getting two of those

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol »

One-T-Matt wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:19 pm
Haha, Gates T070 belts are $7 on amazon, definitely getting two of those
Good move!
Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

bdickdadt
Motorcycle: 1986 gl1200 aspencade

Post by bdickdadt »

so i just traded a old truck for a 86 aspencade gl1200 it rattled idled like crap but i road it home any way it road great at freeway speed but any way next day took off the timing cover to find right side cam pully bolt out and no pin holding the pully inplace on cam the cam was chewed throw almost to pully bolt hole in cam so left side cam worked right where the right side cam didnt eork at all wouldnt that make it a none interference engine

virgilmobile
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Post by virgilmobile »

The goldwings are a interference engine...