86 Aspencade turn signals won't work / cancel

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
borntolandhard
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade

86 Aspencade turn signals won't work / cancel

Post by borntolandhard » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:30 am

Electrical systems are my weak point so please bear with me! I removed the fairing in October when I replaced the steering head bearings. After I reassembled everything, the turn signals wouldn't work. The front indicators stayed lit but would not flash.

I discovered that in my haste, I accidentally plugged the 6 pin brown connector from the turn signal cancel control unit into the 4 pin brown connector for the CB Radio :lol:
I corrected my mistake and plugged the cancel control unit into the proper 6 pin brown on the harness (photo below). The turn signals would still not work.

Next, my Clymer manual advised jumping the blue/black wire of the 6 pin brown connector to ground. After doing this, the signals DO FLASH, but will not cancel when I push the signal switch in. I can "cheat" by nudging the switch back to center. This is not permanent or safe, but I have been riding the bike like this.

In the above "cheat" configuration, I can feel this signal flasher working.

Next, thinking that I fried the turn signal cancel control unit by plugging it into the cb radio connector, I ordered a replacement unit off ebay for 12 dollars. With the new cancel unit installed, the problem still exists. I checked for continuity on all the connectors on both my original and the replacement cancel units, and they are all good. Yesterday I took apart the turn signal switch and cleaned and regreased everything, and checked for continuity on all the connectors. Everything in there is perfect. All fuses are OK. The brake lights work. The radio works. Speedo works. The only part of the bike that is broken are the turn signals.

...which leads me to believe that I did something when I removed the fairing. Logical conclusion? The smart people on this forum have helped me before so I thank you all in advance!

oldishwinger
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade

Re: 86 Aspencade turn signals won't work / cancel

Post by oldishwinger » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:37 pm

having read your article not sure I missed it sorry if Im repeating but On the bottom of the steering stem is the automatic cancelling unit, its very easy to knock the wires off if you are working around the area. its under a plate, at bottom of the steering stem which needs to be removed to see it, its simply a plate with either a single or two wires coming out of it, if one is off it will definitely cause issues (been there)

good luck

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:58 pm

Yeah, that wire harness up through the stem is not excessively long, more like "just enough & no more". It is a part of the cancel deal.
Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

borntolandhard

Post by borntolandhard » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:58 pm

I've double or triple checked the cancel unit, as well as tried a replacement cancel unit from another 86 Aspencade. Still won't work.

borntolandhard

Post by borntolandhard » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:50 am

Bonus question: Does anyone know how to completely bypass the self cancelling system so I can just use the handlebar switch? Is that even possible?