First Honda. First cruiser. 86 Aspencade SEi.

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
rcaircraftnut
Motorcycle: 1982 GL 1200 Aspencade SEi.

First Honda. First cruiser. 86 Aspencade SEi.

Post by rcaircraftnut »

So I just traded my non running 94 LT1 Camero straight across for this bike. It runs and rides and most things function properly on it. There are a few issues I have found and plan to remedy shortly.
Already ordered new tires. Went with Shinko tourmaster 230s as money is a bit tight at the moment but I don't want to be unsafe so chose a tire that at least a few here have used and had acceptable results with. Been reading everything I can find learning what I have and what it needs as far as care and feeding. Lots of good info here. Thank you all.
Currently need a new battery as it was running on a car battery in the left side box. Wow was the weight distribution bad haha. Tires are dry rotted bad. Gas smells really old when it's running. Looks to have been sitting a while in the weather as it has surface rust on all the chrome. And all the controls are sun cooked and weathered. But it runs pretty good. All the gauges work. Trip computer works. Stereo system works but the rear speakers don't. Stator throws a good charge. Has good oil pressure. Thermostat opens and closes as well as the fan cycles properly. Bike has 60,380 original miles. Paint looks pretty good. All the lights work except the brake lights. Starts rite up. Idles at 880 like a clock. Instant throttle response. Good power on the test ride and it was still cold. Came with 2 half helmets with intercoms however they need adapter cords to plug into the bike.
Ordered new fork seals also as they are leaking. Will see if I can get some new bushings on the way just in case. Bike also came with all the actual Honda manuals for it. 84-87 service manual, 86 GL1200 electrical troubleshooting manual, and 86 GL1200 Aspencade SEi service manual supplement. Those were a very welcome sight.
Current plan is to dismantle the bodywork and chrome so I can clean and polish it all. Replace the tires. Replace the leaking fork seals. Change all the fluids and catch up all the maintenance so it will be reliable transportation. Then fix the little things like the CB radio display being all on at once. The air compressor and controls for the air ride not working. Guess that's actually a safety concern isn't it?
Anything you can tell me to look for or than needs done I may not know about please let me know as this is my first Goldwing and it sea like a lot of stuff crammed into a very small area lol.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500A
2004 NRX1800 Rune SOLD

Re: First Honda. First cruiser. 86 Aspencade SEi.

Post by dingdong »

The next thing you need to do is replace the timing belts if you don't have service records from the last owner with a date of replacement. Your bike has an interference style engine. If a belt breaks there will be a minimum of 2 bent valves. Don't rely on inspecting the belts, old hardened belts look like new. Just saying. Been there done that.
Welcome to the forum from another Okie.

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 »

+2 on changing the belts asap, if there is not any documentation stating when last changed.

I would siphon the fuel out, and put in fresh.

get some Sea Foam and pour 4oz into the crankcase.
run that for ~100 miles and drain it out... that will dissolve all of the old varnishes sticking to various parts.

get an AGM battery at Wally World, just as good as any out there.
~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

rcaircraftnut

Post by rcaircraftnut »

10-4 on the timing belt. Will get one ordered. Is there a brand to look for or are they all pretty similar?

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Welcome from the west coast rock of Canada, Vancouver Island. Good advice so far, have an '85 LTD, precursor to yours. Have put a few miles on it solo and two up.

Timing belts - as has been mentioned. For ease of work remove the radiator.
All fluids - clutch/brake/coolant/final drive. May want to do the clutch slave as well, guaranteed it is full of gunk.
Front forks - all parts are still available from Honda
Do the stator wires - lots of info here and other forums regarding the stator wires. Solder or just replace the OEM connector with new. OEM connector still available from Honda. If the one on the bike has lasted this long, a new OEM connector will last just as long.
Air pump and dryer - hard to get to but recommend doing the desiccant. Don't have to buy new, just bake in the oven to dry the desiccant out.
Tires - have used Shinko Tourmaster tires on my '85 LTD and like them. Best tires for longevity that I have found are Michelin Commander II. Use beads for balancing instead of wheel weights - work well.
You should be able to add air manually through a schrader valve - right side in behind the side panel. Will verify if the shocks hold air.
Idle speed - 1000 rpm +/- 100
Good that you have the manuals.
Take the rear off. Lube up the splines on the drive shaft and u-joint. If the u=joint boot is cracked should be available from Honda.
Recommend doing the brakes all round. As a minimum new brake pads.
Spark plugs

Hope this helps. Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

rcaircraftnut

Post by rcaircraftnut »

Will start pulling the rear apart tomorrow morning if it's not raining. I don't have a garage so am on the porch lol. Keeps things dry but only if there's no wind so I usually have to tarp the bikes.

rcaircraftnut

Post by rcaircraftnut »

Quick question. If I replace the stereo with a more modern one can the CB and intercom system still be used? I understand I will lose the mute capabilities and handle bar control. I am fine with that. A bit of Velcro and the remote can be mounted on the handle bar. I just have no use for cassette tapes. Lol.

rcaircraftnut

Post by rcaircraftnut »

New timing belts are ordered. Went with Gates t070 belts from Rock Auto. Hope they are the correct ones. Lol.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500A
2004 NRX1800 Rune SOLD

Post by dingdong »

rcaircraftnut wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:33 am
New timing belts are ordered. Went with Gates t070 belts from Rock Auto. Hope they are the correct ones. Lol.
Yes, those are the correct belts.

rcaircraftnut

Post by rcaircraftnut »

dingdong wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:40 am
rcaircraftnut wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:33 am
Yes, those are the correct belts.
Cool. Thanks for the info. Lots to learn about these bikes.

rcaircraftnut

Post by rcaircraftnut »

New rear tire is here and I got a new battery today. Will start disassembly tomorrow if we aren't still under a tornado watch lol.

rcaircraftnut

Post by rcaircraftnut »

Well it is still pouring rain. Has been all night. Got the new battery installed and all is well there now. Not willing to get out in the rain to change out the rear tire though :roll: Also while the rear tire is already here, the front tire, fork seals, and exhaust seals have yet to even ship. Never had this experience with bike bandit before. Wonder if it's the fear of the fake lefts narrative about a COLD? Lol. Sorry couldn't resist a little jab there lol. Relax everyone it's just humor. I'm sure the parts will get here eventually 😉.
Does anyone know if there is anywhere replacement factory stickers for the pinstripes on the SEi can be obtained? My paint is in pretty good shape however the stickers are all sunweathered and flaking off

rcaircraftnut

Post by rcaircraftnut »

Timing belts are here. Still crappy weather here though. Looks to last at least a few more days. Grrrrrr. Really wish I had a garage. Lol. Hopefully by next year of things work out I will have one. I don't care to be patient lol.

rcaircraftnut

Post by rcaircraftnut »

Goofed up and only ordered one exhaust seal. Grrrr.......lol. Oh well.

rcaircraftnut

Post by rcaircraftnut »

Been raining all week. Now under a flash flood warning. Thankfully I have an indoor project keeping me occupied mostly. Building a new 3D printer for making whatever I need out of plastic. Pretty cool gadget really. Just has taken a load of learning in several different disciplines to get mine working how I need it to. But I didn't have over $1000 to spend on a nice one from the start. Had to build mine from a kit and upgrade it as needed.

rcaircraftnut

Post by rcaircraftnut »

Working on disassembly between downpours today. So far got the trunk off and the left saddle bag almost off. Trailer hitch is off.
All the non factory add on stuff that was very badly wired had to be all removed so it can be rewired properly. Every wire was added with wire nuts and or insulation taps. Either one is a sure way to be stranded on the road somewhere. Going to fully disassemble the bags so I can clean the rust off all the bars and if needed paint them. Chrome is pretty but paint looks better than rust pitting.

rcaircraftnut

Post by rcaircraftnut »

Got the baggage off and the rear wheel off the bike today. Looks like there is very little wear on the drive hub splines and the rubber isolators are all good. Rear brake pads are not wore out completely but close enough to warrant changing them out. Will need to order a set. However since I am broke and no work in sight it may be a while before I can get them. Anything else I should do while it's apart besides the u joint?

LeMaitre
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200A Aspencade
1975 CB550F Super Sport

Post by LeMaitre »

Did anyone suggest checking the swing arm bearings? Had to replace the swing arm on my '85 GL1200A because of a failed bearing on the drive shaft side last summer, 90K+ miles.

-Mark
1985 GL1200A, MN SS1K
1975 CB550F, Lake Superior SS1K, 45-90 SS1K, All in Yooper SS1K

rcaircraftnut

Post by rcaircraftnut »

Any way to check them without destroying them? I will look at my service manual. Lol.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

rcaircraftnut wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:03 am
Any way to check them without destroying them? I will look at my service manual. Lol.
Check for free play - usually seen as lateral movement of the swingarm at the rear end (there should be none).

rcaircraftnut

Post by rcaircraftnut »

Looks all good. No play at all that I can find.
Got the rear tire on the wheel yesterday and since I am not a fan of balance beads I am going to need to get another small weight as it's just a bit off still on balance. Been stuck doing spring cleanup around the property so not much progress on the bike.

rcaircraftnut

Post by rcaircraftnut »

Got some more disassembly done today. Tank cover and lower fairing removed. Will get started on the forks and front tire soon but I also need to remove the rest of the added non stock wiring mess and repair the harness back to stock with no open bare wire anywhere. May take a while as they used tap splices like they owned stock in the company.

julimike54
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A original owner
2016 HD FLTRU

Post by julimike54 »

For the rusty chrome, try water and crumpled aluminium foil rubbed on it, or try Evapo-rust.

The striping will be a hit or miss of finding, just lots of searching world wide. I've thought on mine if you could make them, but may be in over my head on that idea ;)
Riding anything is a good day!
Mike

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Since you are taking the bike apart to a reasonable level, there's a lot you can do to help you later on.

I would buy some OEM style connectors, 2/3/4 pin. These will be invaluable as you do some wiring. Very inexpensive on eBay. The off shore knock offs work just fine and are better than crimp connectors because these allow you to disconnect whenever.

I would get an auxiliary fuse block that is a combined power/ground unit - 8 fuse - and mount in the trunk. You can run all your new wiring back to the trunk and install connector(s) to disconnect the wiring if you have to remove the trunk. Keeps the OEM harness and electrical requirements separate from your add on requirements. I mention to install this fuse block in the trunk because there is not a lot of real estate anywhere else.

Install an automotive relay relay to control the power to the fuse block. This can be mounted on the right side of the battery. Just need to find a 12 VDC switched wire to trigger the relay.

Doing it this way you only have one positive and ground wire to attach to the battery. Keeps install simple.

Have pictures of how I did mine. Will dig up and post for you if you'd like. My '85 Limited Edition is a work in progress. I think of a better way to do thing(s) and make it so. I'm also very frugal.

Good luck.
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

rcaircraftnut

Post by rcaircraftnut »

Good advice for sure. I know it's good because I was a Navy electrician. Lol. Planned to add the connectors to the trunk harness. However, I had no plans of adding any extras back to the bike. I am going to remove all the headaches by removing the added fluff. I don't need to look like a micro sized chicken truck going down the road. Haha. I don't even want the ring of fire on there and they are for sale of trade. Complete with mounts and hardware. The issue is that they tapped into the factory harness in like 30 places. Leaving the insulation damaged and the conductor exposed. This will lead to a completely ruined harness if not dealt with. So I will be cutting soldering and shrink tubing all these spots.