Drive Shaft Lube Question

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
patbrandon1
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200 Interstate
1982 GL1100I (Crashed)
1981 Honda CM400C (Sold)

Drive Shaft Lube Question

Post by patbrandon1 »

Here is a photo of my drive shaft. I have looked and looked at my manuals, and in the internet, and there are conflicting theories.

Some say the shaft is lubed by the oil in the final drive gear case on the 1200, others say moly, one person said both and now believes it it all mixed together in the final drive gear case. ???

Anybody out there know a factual answer to what the drive shaft is lubed with?

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Re: Drive Shaft Lube Question

Post by CrystalPistol »

I lubed both ends liberally with Valvoline Moly fortified high temperature Ford spec disc brake wheel bearing grease, VV632 in 16oz. can. My guess is I will be severely chastised pretty soon, but it was handy, not expensive, readily available, slick always, … and it worked 100% for my 24 years of ownership of my '85 Aspencade. The spring on the end pushes the front U-joint all the way up onto engine/trans output shaft. The cross of the U-joint is in line with the swing arm pivots, so there is constant distance from cross axis to final drive so virtually zero movement in place. I used the same grease on my rear wheels spline drive too.

There is nothing lubing the front end other than what you slather on the splines at reassembly.

As I recall, that rear spline is originally intended to be lubed by gear lube through a couple holes, hence the seal. I always took care of the seal, but still slathered my Valvoline on the splines as it is not gonna hurt if it gets a mix of lubes.

Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

CrystalPistol wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:51 pm
I lubed both ends liberally with Valvoline Moly fortified high temperature Ford spec disc brake wheel bearing grease, VV632 in 16oz. can. My guess is I will be severely chastised pretty soon, but it was handy, not expensive, readily available, slick always, … and it worked 100% for my 24 years of ownership of my '85 Aspencade. The spring on the end pushes the front U-joint all the way up onto engine/trans output shaft. The cross of the U-joint is in line with the swing arm pivots, so there is constant distance from cross axis to final drive so virtually zero movement in place. I used the same grease on my rear wheels spline drive too.

There is nothing lubing the front end other than what you slather on the splines at reassembly.

As I recall, that rear spline is originally intended to be lubed by gear lube through a couple holes, hence the seal. I always took care of the seal, but still slathered my Valvoline on the splines as it is not gonna hurt if it gets a mix of lubes.

Valvoline VV632 WhlBrgGrs with Moly.jpg
I did the same - moly on both splines, but the rear spline is (should be) lubricated by the gear oil.

I won't chastise you...but I will tell others that these splines are supposed to have high-moly content grease used, which means 60% or more. The Ford/Valvoline "moly grease" you used is closer to 1% moly.

The reason for moly is because the grease carrier gets squished out from between the spline teeth. Using regular grease, or low-moly grease means you are left with little or no lubrication, which causes spline wear. The high-moly paste causes the moly to remain after the grease carrier is squished out, and that's what lubricates the splines.

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Post by ct1500 »

patbrandon1 wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:16 pm
Here is a photo of my drive shaft. I have looked and looked at my manuals, and in the internet, and there are conflicting theories.
Some say the shaft is lubed by the oil in the final drive gear case on the 1200, others say moly, one person said both and now believes it it all mixed together in the final drive gear case. ???
Anybody out there know a factual answer to what the drive shaft is lubed with?
Drive shaft apart.JPG
I presented a good case against the gear oil lubes pinion cup theorists and the reason why that cup has holes through it here. :) DriverRider
https://www.goldwingfacts.com/threads/g ... ve.644153/
Attachments

Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please click contact
Nothing leaves my shop till its' perfect
This is what I do