No temp gauge , no fuel pump , no horn.

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
stevensacc
Motorcycle: 1984 GL 1200 Goldwing Interstste

No temp gauge , no fuel pump , no horn.

Post by stevensacc »

I’m stumped! I’ve had the motor out all winter to refresh everything in it . All good ! Except I’ve reinstalled it in the bike and now I have no temp gauge , no fuel pump , and no horn. It’s definitely electrical. And I’ve gone over everything? Even had the gauge Pac out and I can’t for the life of me figure this one out . I have fuel gauge and the bike runs but it seems like some wire is either a bad connection or grounded?
Any and all ideas of my next step to figure this out is appreciated. Btw, I have the fuel pump on a home grown relay I wired up to make it run .

LeMaitre
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200A Aspencade
1975 CB550F Super Sport

Re: No temp gauge , no fuel pump , no horn.

Post by LeMaitre »

This a pure guess but did you check the fuses under the left storage bin?

-Mark
1985 GL1200A, MN SS1K
1975 CB550F, Lake Superior SS1K, 45-90 SS1K, All in Yooper SS1K

stevensacc

Post by stevensacc »

Yes I did and they tested good . Like I said I’m out of ideas myself. I’ve run my own relay for the fuel pump and I’m thinking of running an other for the horn . The temp gauge is another subject. Haven’t figured that one out yet .

patbrandon1
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200 Interstate
1982 GL1100I (Crashed)
1981 Honda CM400C (Sold)

Post by patbrandon1 »

In my years of experience with electrical, (Electrician for Plastic Molding Plant), the first thing that is usually wrong is bad grounding. Most things on bikes are grounded to the frame. But I have seen on certain bikes, that a relay can have a ground connection that is broke and/or made when powered. In most of those cases there were alterations to the wiring.

Always follow the ground and make sure those are perfect first.

If you weren't 644 mile away, I would come and help. I love tracking down these problems. It would be a good excuse for a road trip in my Wing, as I have recently put an alternator conversion kit on it and LOVE having a charging system I can fully rely on. Got some new tires on too and handles great. Hmmm...If it weren't snowing, I'd come right away.

Keep us posted. I know it can be frustrating sometimes to not be able to figure it out, but keep at it, you can do it.

A guy told me a long time ago when I was an apprentice to expect to do the hard things twice, and enjoy it both times. Attitude matters.

stevensacc

Post by stevensacc »

Thanks for the reply Pat, I’ve been working on this bike all winter refreshing the motor and I will figure this out I’m sure .