Clutch lever feeling off

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
redjetty
Motorcycle: 1987 GL 1200 Aspencade

Clutch lever feeling off

Post by redjetty »

I have an 87 Goldwing aspencade,,,, I had shop tuner it up really good two years ago,, all fluids, timing belt, etc.... anyways,, does it have an adjustment on the clutch?? When I pull in the lever it does NOT engage till its 75% pulled in leaving me about 3/4" to do my shifting.... suggestions??? It was fine getting it back from the shop so if there were air bubbles wouldn't it have showed up right after the clutch fluid was changed? thanks rj

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Clutch lever feeling off

Post by WingAdmin »

redjetty wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:44 pm
I have an 87 Goldwing aspencade,,,, I had shop tuner it up really good two years ago,, all fluids, timing belt, etc.... anyways,, does it have an adjustment on the clutch?? When I pull in the lever it does NOT engage till its 75% pulled in leaving me about 3/4" to do my shifting.... suggestions??? It was fine getting it back from the shop so if there were air bubbles wouldn't it have showed up right after the clutch fluid was changed? thanks rj
Two things can cause that. One is air in the clutch line, the other is a very worn clutch.

Are you losing clutch fluid? Do you see any evidence of leaks?

Try tying a bungee cord around your clutch lever (pull it as tight as you can get it, then strap it that way) and leave it overnight. Sometimes this will help air bubbles in the slave cylinder or hydraulic line migrate back up to the reservoir.

redjetty

Post by redjetty »

spent lots of money having the new clutch plates put in 5k miles ago,,, bike only has 39k on it,,, no leaks on floor , oil, coolant, clutch, rear end,, clean on the floor,,, I'll try the overnight cord wrap around the handle pulled in,, thanks rj

redjetty

Post by redjetty »

what is this under my clutch lever? some type of adjustment for what?? the curved silver piece , the lowest part in the pic... thanks
Attachments

julimike54
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A original owner
2016 HD FLTRU

Post by julimike54 »

Check for worn bushing in the clutch pivot point, some have found them worn.

That silver piece isn't on my '86, no help
Riding anything is a good day!
Mike

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by Rambozo »

Adjustment for the choke cable. Your clutch is hydraulic, so basically self adjusting.

redjetty

Post by redjetty »

WingAdmin wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:42 pm
redjetty wrote:
Two things can cause that. One is air in the clutch line, the other is a very worn clutch.

Try tying a bungee cord around your clutch lever (pull it as tight as you can get it, then strap it that way) and leave it overnight. Sometimes this will help air bubbles in the slave cylinder or hydraulic line migrate back up to the reservoir.
this actually worked,,, its back to feeling normal when squeezing and engaging the clutch, thanks for the tip

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

redjetty wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:29 pm
WingAdmin wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:42 pm
redjetty wrote:

this actually worked,,, its back to feeling normal when squeezing and engaging the clutch, thanks for the tip
Good to hear it! This usually also works for spongy brakes that won't bleed. There are so many nooks and crannies, that air bubbles are too large to fit through, and get stuck. Tying the lever down tight overnight pressurizes the system, which squeezes the air bubbles so they are much smaller - small enough to fit through the restriction, and they migrate up to the reservoir.

SlowTyper
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Aspencade

Post by SlowTyper »

I had the same symptoms on my bike several months ago. Because the clutch engagement point changed very slowly over time, I didn't really notice the issue until the clutch started dragging slightly with the lever against the handle.

In my case the reservoir had gotten low, and periodically a drop of air would get pushed into the cable along with the fluid. As soon as I filled the reservoir and bled the system, the clutch worked properly. But until I got used to it working correctly, I would sometimes rev the engine without going anywhere! Out of habit, I wouldn't released the lever far enough to engage the clutch! (I typically accelerate quickly, slipping the clutch off the line.)

victorvmg
Motorcycle: honda 1984 gl1200 interstate

Post by victorvmg »

try bleeding the line thru the clutch banjo bolt,worked for me. had air in line on two bikes after many attempts thru clutch slave with no success I covered bike in plastic and bled thru the banjo bolt. I think there is a great video on this by steve sanders.try googling it. air bubbles on the top are almost impossible to remove going against gravity.

bb1040
Motorcycle: Honda 1986 Gl1200i

Post by bb1040 »

I had this problem on my 86 goldWing , the fluid was low, and it happened several times, but finally stopped, the last two years have not had to add any fluid, still do not know why it was loosing fluid, have not replaced anything in the clutch system except that fluid, I carry some fluid and a screw driver with me, just in case but like I said, have not needed them for two years now, I bought the bike new in 1986 and now have 122,000 miles on it, and was out for a ride a couple days ago, and just a note...I try to never think about crashing, when I decide to go for a ride, if I did, it would stay in the garage all the time and I would never ride...I am 72 years old now, live alone and riding is one thing I can do to get out of the house for a while, without getting close to other people...Stay safe, stay away from other people, and don't stop riding...think about it, a short ride, and there are a lot fewer cars out on the roads now, more room to ride safe....and just enjoy the ride, don't push the limits and you will be safe......maybe some day this mess will be cleared up and we can get back to normal, now I have to go out and rake my lawn.......

tommckay
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800

Post by tommckay »

I had an issue this spring on my 1800, but my issue was the clutch wouldn't fully release when the lever was pulled all the way. Bled the system and changed out the fluid while I was at it (looked cloudy at the bottom of the master cylinder), all good now.

I'm going to remember the lever pull and let it sit trick though!

dieselauto
Motorcycle: 1995 Aspencade SE with California Sidecar Friendship II
1984 Aspencade with California Sidecar Friendship III

Post by dieselauto »

This thread brings up a couple of issues and a question...

It sounds from the original post that the clutch was not completely disengaging which can be also be caused by wear of the bush part no. 22885-MB0-006, a brass cylinder shape with a hole drilled in the side. The bush is located in the clutch lever and the drilled hole engages the plunger of the master cylinder. Over time the bush wears and will no longer be able to fully disengage the clutch.

Air in the line or slave cylinder can be the problem. This post identifies a another issue... Under normal conditions the sight window in the reservoir only tells you the color of the fluid. As the fluid ages and absorbs moisture it will discolor; a reminder that you should replace the fluid every few years. As far as fluid level it only tells you the level if the cap is off the reservoir and the diaphragm is removed. Under normal when wear demands more fluid in the slave cylinder it comes from the reservoir, the diaphragm takes up the space created and air enters the reservoir to fill the space between the diaphragm and the cover. The level of fluid in the sight window remains the same despite the reduction of fluid in the reservoir.

About clearing air from the lines back to the reservoir.....
I have a sidecar on my '95. When I remove the sidecar there is a quick disconnect for the brake line under the right side cover that connects the sidecar brake to the front master cylinder. When reattaching the sidecar it is virtually impossible to reconnect the brake line without getting some air in the line. It is also difficult to impossible to bleed the air out of the line using the caliper cylinder because the air bubble rises in the line faster that I can pull fluid from the caliper with my mity-vac. I've found that turning the handlebars full lock to the left raises the right handlebar enough that the bubble works its way back to the reservoir on its own in a couple of hours without pressurizing the system. To clear air from the clutch line you would need to go full lock right.
Pressurizing the system actually prevents the air from returning to the reservoir. When the brake or clutch lever is pulled in to apply the brakes or disengage the clutch the plunger moves past the holes at the bottom of the reservoir that permit fluid to enter the system. In that position there is no way any air in the lines to return to reservoir. The lever must be released before the air can be replace by fluid in the lines.

basil3w
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1981 GL1100I
1978 GL1000
1984 GL1200I

Post by basil3w »

In addition to the low fluid and improperly bled clutch lines, I've noticed several of my 1200 clients had the worn brass bushing. Sometimes so badly worn that the MC actuating pin went all the way through the blind hole in the bushing and into the clutch lever itself (causing a 'click' during actuation). These bikes usually have enough miles on them that the bushing should be inspected annually.

SlowTyper
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Aspencade

Post by SlowTyper »

Pressurizing the system actually prevents the air from returning to the reservoir.
Yes, and No (in my opinion). Yes, while the lever is pulled back, no air can enter the reservoir. However, pressurizing the system does let air return to the reservoir that otherwise would not -- it is just that it doesn't return until the level is released. The significant nuance is that by pulling the lever and leaving it pulled for an extended period, air that otherwise would remain trapped in the line will (or may) work its way back up to the top so that when the lever is released, the air gets pushed back into the reservoir rather than staying in the line (provided the wheel is turned such that the reservoir is higher than the line).