1200 Aspencade - Coolant gauge only sort of working

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
One-T-Matt
Motorcycle: 86 GL1200 ASPENCADE

1200 Aspencade - Coolant gauge only sort of working

Post by One-T-Matt »

I have an 86 Aspencade 1200 with a coolant temp gauge problem, so the temp sensor for the gauge, NOT the fan switch.

When I run the bike, the coolant gauge will generally get a notch or two on the LCD display, then drop down to zero and usually stay there. Sometimes it comes back for a moment while riding and then drops back down to zero again. I have no reason to believe that the bike is actually running that cold, and I'm assuming its either a temp sender or the wiring somewhere in between.

The fact that the gauge moves at all is what has me confused though. The gauge is working at least somewhat, the sender is working at least somewhat, the wiring is working at least somewhat.

Does the coolant sensor go into the big connector that's under the left-side fairing box? What do you feel is the best way to start troubleshooting this?

I'm tempted to just get the TrailTech TTO gauge with the sensor that you splice into your hoses.

julimike54
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A original owner
2016 HD FLTRU

Re: 1200 Aspencade - Coolant gauge only sort of working

Post by julimike54 »

First has a pic of location of some components

http://classicgoldwings.com/forum/galle ... e_id=31009

Next Sensor tests

http://classicgoldwings.com/forum/galle ... e_id=31279

Third I Highly Recommend you get a factory Service Manual, they are invaluable.
Riding anything is a good day!
Mike

One-T-Matt
Motorcycle: 86 GL1200 ASPENCADE

Post by One-T-Matt »

I finally took some time to look into this last night. How are you even supposed to get to the coolant gauge sender unit? On my bike, behind the radiator is a big black plate, presumably to keep road grime and rain from going through the radiator fins and pooling up in the motor. This is attached by the engine mounting bolts, so I'd have to pull those to get to it.

The only other option seems to be to come from the side, but the carbs are very much in the way.

Is there any non-ridiculous way to reach that sender unit?

julimike54
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A original owner
2016 HD FLTRU

Post by julimike54 »

Correct, no easy way....I'd remove the heat shield
Riding anything is a good day!
Mike

Rainmaker663
Motorcycle: 1894 GL1200! I just bought two fer the price of one... Twins almost! One is a Aspencade “ Rusty” sat outside unridden for 16 years! “ Dusty” a GL 1200 Interstate sat in a shop collecting dust...needs TLC.. took it around the block yesterday! Needs clutch master cylinder and system bled of air! Dusty Runs the First time yesterday since 2017! 4-29-2020

Post by Rainmaker663 »

Coolant and the Fan for the Radiator? Temperature? When does it turn on ! ? My Temp Gauge works on “Dusty” and just put it on a “ Low Carb diet! Green algae goo?