Exhaust

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
kicker29
Motorcycle: 1987GL1200 Interstate

Exhaust

Post by kicker29 »

Hi guys. It has been quit awhile since I have been on here. I have been quite busy and have not had a lot of trouble with my 1987 Interstate, until now. I have been doing all my maintenance every spring and fall and have seen quit a few videos but now I have a question. The problem is last year about halfway through the summer I started hearing an exhaust leak. I could not quit pinpoint it. When I went to start my spring clean up and maintenance I could hear the exhaust leak a little louder. Turns out that the exhaust completely rotted out at the joint where the header pipes go into the muffler. When I tried to tighten I snapped one the clamp bolts. well long story short. I ended up removing the whole exhaust. I went searching for one and apparently they are no longer manufactured by Honda. I looked at after market and not a lot of choices there. Nothing I felt comfortable with. So I went to E-Bay and found a complete system at a surprisingly affordable price. Anyway I received the parts a couple days ago and they are in great shape. I shouldn't have too much trouble putting it all back together. My question is has any of you fellow wingers ever installed a complete exhaust and are there any tips or tricks I should know about before I get started. I will be ordering all the new gaskets and I need to get 4 bolts for the clamps. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

julimike54
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A original owner
2016 HD FLTRU

Re: Exhaust

Post by julimike54 »

Apply anti-seize to the exhaust nuts and bolts.
Riding anything is a good day!
Mike

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Re: Exhaust

Post by CrystalPistol »

On those clamp bolts, some I had just drilled and used a bolt & nut.
Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)