Auxiliary Fan? Any Input Welcome

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
patbrandon1
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200 Interstate
1982 GL1100I (Crashed)
1981 Honda CM400C (Sold)

Auxiliary Fan? Any Input Welcome

Post by patbrandon1 »

I have a 1987 Goldwing Interstate. Recently put a Poorboy alternator conversion kit on. Love having reliable power.

Here's my question, kinda, in a minute... Look for this >>>> :?:

I live in Bay City, Michigan, and we have the Saginaw river running right through the middle, out to the bay. That means that there are four bridges, and when boats need to go by, the bridges open and stop traffic. I shut the bike down while I wait, whenever I get caught by one. That's no problem, but what is a problem is the stop and go traffic that occurs once the boat clears and the bridge comes down. The bike likes more air to cool than stop and go riding offers for sometimes fifteen minutes. I can't keep shutting the bike down, people beep at me.

Then there are the train tracks. There is a coal powered power plant nearby as well, and there are a number, (five or so) that have a pretty steady flow of trains. Sometimes long stop and go traffic for them too.

Now that I'm done whining, (not really, just stating facts) :?: has anyone ever put on an auxiliary fan on their radiator. I took a slow mo movie of my bike stopping, and it looks like I would have a couple options of where I could place one or two little ones.

With the alternator putting out 14.4 volts all the time now. I have ample power to do this.

Any Ideas? :idea: :idea: :idea:

DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Re: Auxiliary Fan? Any Input Welcome

Post by DenverWinger »

(Under normal circumstances) I have a 15 mile stretch of Interstate Parking Lot known as I-70 to travel down on my commute home, it often takes 45 mins to go 10 of those miles and I'm just sitting there idling. In the dead of Summer (100+ heat) the 1100 will go to 5/8 scale on the temp gauge, the 1500 to 3/4 scale. This is clearly hotter than normal readings but still far from overheated. (Overheated = Full-scale gauge + Steam)

One time I actually overheated the 1100 on a trip down to Colorado Springs. Everything was OK until I pulled off the highway into city traffic. I noticed the fan wasn't working. After a couple stoplights the temp gauge was very nearly full-scale (still no steam) and I found a gas station to pull into to cool off and troubleshoot. Just as I was parking the bike the steam started, and I shut her down.

With ignition ON I jumpered across the fuse for the fan with my keys. Still no fan, the fuse probably OK. I wiggled the connection on the fan switch on the engine, lo and behold the fan came on, must've been corroded connection. So I started the engine back up and was again on my merry way.

You shouldn't have to shut it down. I've never seen a 'Wing where the stock fan wouldn't keep it cool enough even if it was idling in place for hours on end in 100* heat. The wing isn't overheated unless the temperature gauge is all the way to full-scale. I suspect you aren't overheating, just getting nervous because the gauge is reading higher than normal.

Having said that, I realize a poor-boy mod sometimes requires some surgery on the stock fan (usually just the housing) If you've had to actually shorten the fan blades you may be truly deficient in cooling.

You could get a couple of those 4" Computer Chassis fans, they run on 12v. Sandwich some chicken wire between the stock fan and the radiator, then you should be able to find places to zip-tie two or three of these little 4" fans to the chicken wire. I wouldn't zip-tie them directly to the radiator core, it is too fragile.
♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark

patbrandon1
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200 Interstate
1982 GL1100I (Crashed)
1981 Honda CM400C (Sold)

Post by patbrandon1 »

DenverWinger wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 6:35 am
(Under normal circumstances) I have a 15 mile stretch of Interstate Parking Lot known as I-70 to travel down on my commute home, it often takes 45 mins to go 10 of those miles and I'm just sitting there idling. In the dead of Summer (100+ heat) the 1100 will go to 5/8 scale on the temp gauge, the 1500 to 3/4 scale. This is clearly hotter than normal readings but still far from overheated. (Overheated = Full-scale gauge + Steam)

You shouldn't have to shut it down. I've never seen a 'Wing where the stock fan wouldn't keep it cool enough even if it was idling in place for hours on end in 100* heat. The wing isn't overheated unless the temperature gauge is all the way to full-scale. I suspect you aren't overheating, just getting nervous because the gauge is reading higher than normal.

Having said that, I realize a poor-boy mod sometimes requires some surgery on the stock fan (usually just the housing) If you've had to actually shorten the fan blades you may be truly deficient in cooling.
Thanks for such a thorough explanation.
My '82 1100i on the gauge would be a little lower than on my 87 1200i. But I think they all differ slightly as they aren't numeric. (Hmm, I wonder if I could install a thermal couple somewhere that I could get a numerical readout on an aftermarket gauge?)

I'm actually not too nervous about over heating. The fan does seem to keep it below the danger mark. I'll show you a pic and where the gauge is typically during various ranges...

During the PoorBoy conversion, Don provided a new way to alter the fan to miss the pulley and belt. No mods to the fan blade, but a tiny bit off of the shroud. Didn't compromise the strength at all. Just put the fan closer (really closer) to the radiator. Here's a pic of what I mean, hope you can see what I mean, not the best picture...

But you have helped me understand that I really don't have to be concerned. The only reason I was slightly at first is the fact that the 1100 and 1200 had a difference, but I don't think that matters.

Thanks again for giving freely of your time.

Stay safe. Keep your head on a swivel, and your girls on a throne.

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol »

Or just put a toggle switch with one lead to ground, the other to the wire from the temperature switch, then you can run the stock fan as long as you want. No need for more fans.

Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)