1986 Aspencade Brake Issue

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
jwh20
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800

1986 Aspencade Brake Issue

Post by jwh20 »

Hi All!

I'm looking at an 86 Aspencade for a friend and the symptom is that the brake pedal just depresses without any resistance other than the return spring. Fluid level is good and I'm not seeing any leaks.

I'm guessing one of two issues:

1) Air in the line which may be able to be bled out.
2) Problem in the master cylinder.

I'm going to try to bleed the line this afternoon but assuming that is not the issue, is there anything else I should be looking at on this model before I tear into the master?

On a related note, I see that the master cylinder is tucked up in the frame above the exhaust. Is it possible to remove it without dropping the exhaust?

Thanks!

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Re: 1986 Aspencade Brake Issue

Post by CrystalPistol »

When you bleed them, do rear, then right front, then rear again. Then try the weighing down of pedal overnight trick. Cured mine before sold last year, owner now has had no issues. If there is air in that line from the rear MC to the rt frt caliper, it'll go to the highest point and stay so you have to blead that front too.

On a 1500, it's the left front caliper operates off the rear MC, but on a 1200 … it's the right front.

Won't say impossible, but yeah, I think you are gonna have to remove the muffler portion at the very least if pulling the rear MC.
Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

tbeiler
Motorcycle: 1986 Goldwing Aspencade,
1985 Goldwing LTD
1983 CX650 Turbo
wanted badly CBX 79-82

Post by tbeiler »

Consider some speed bleeders, they make the job much easier and less time consuming. Many posts about speed bleeders on this site.

jwh20
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800

Post by jwh20 »

Thanks all! It turns out the problem was air in the line coupled with some of the nastiest looking brake fluid I've ever seen.

I flushed it all out, refilled with some fresh DOT4, bled all the air out and they work like a charm now!