Aftermarket digital speedometer for 84 Aspencade

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
jbprincipato
Motorcycle: 1984 honda goldwing aspencade

Aftermarket digital speedometer for 84 Aspencade

Post by jbprincipato »

Hi all,

I am working on a 1984 Aspencade that I am stripping down the fairings and replacing the gauges. I purchased a digital speedo / tach and was able to get a pulse signal to the speedometer using the existing hardware from the hub but the frequency is off so I get a 200 mph reading going about 10 mph. The kit came with two magnets that you attach to the hub and a sensor that feeds a pulse up to the speedometer. I took apart the stock sensor and it looks like it is a single magnet that as it turns it generates a stronger field that is read by the receiver into a circuit board that feeds the pulse up to the speedometer. My question is... Can the frequency of the pulse be reduced somehow so that I can imitate the 2 magnet pulse frequency?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Aftermarket digital speedometer for 84 Aspencade

Post by WingAdmin »

jbprincipato wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:58 pm
Hi all,

I am working on a 1984 Aspencade that I am stripping down the fairings and replacing the gauges. I purchased a digital speedo / tach and was able to get a pulse signal to the speedometer using the existing hardware from the hub but the frequency is off so I get a 200 mph reading going about 10 mph. The kit came with two magnets that you attach to the hub and a sensor that feeds a pulse up to the speedometer. I took apart the stock sensor and it looks like it is a single magnet that as it turns it generates a stronger field that is read by the receiver into a circuit board that feeds the pulse up to the speedometer. My question is... Can the frequency of the pulse be reduced somehow so that I can imitate the 2 magnet pulse frequency?
If I were going to do this, I'd probably look to an electronic solution, using a counter. If you can work out the ratio (i.e. 20 pulses -> 1 pulse), you could build a counter circuit that accepts 20 pulses before emitting 1 pulse.

jbprincipato
Motorcycle: 1984 honda goldwing aspencade

Re: Aftermarket digital speedometer for 84 Aspencade

Post by jbprincipato »

I am not an electronics expert so I am not familiar with how to build a counter circuit.