Idle on 1985 limited

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
WillIamBurnett
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 limited

Idle on 1985 limited

Post by WillIamBurnett »

Ok, so I know there has been mice involved with the bike as there is poop in places under trip computer. I don't see how to remove cover to check air filter due to so many wire connectors. If anyone can chime in on how to open it I'd appreciate it! But my bike idles @1900 and I haven't ran it enough to know if it goes down or not. I'm thinking due to clogged air filter? Rats nest maybe. Sitting on the side stand seems to exacerbate the problem because then the exhaust smells like gas. I'm waiting on a new rectifier for it due to a non working charging system....I did the stator test and it seems to have slightly higher numbers than normal. I'm guessing due to it being a limited?🤷‍♂️ the stator connectors were already cut out and wires soldered as well as the rectifier connectors. I didn't even check the rectifier because 1. Wasnt charging even with seemingly functioning stator.
2. The rectifier has a burnt up electronics smell. The bike literally fires right up and idles with no stumble. I mean I barely hit the starter button and its purring. I'm thinking that the high idle is something to worry about? I have rode it appropriately 30-50 miles after buying it and then the battery failed to produce adequate voltage and it died. Then after replacing battery I rode it another 15 miles or so with no issue, hopefully it's just stuff in the breather box. So if you can help with opening it up.....

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Re: Idle on 1985 limited

Post by Rednaxs60 »

For the idle, let the engine get to operating temp - 4 bars on the dash - then adjust it down to 1000 RPM. This is the idle adjustment screw you get at from the right side and is in the middle of the air chamber at the back. Do not adjust the one behind the CFI cover on the right side. This adjustment is to balance the two sides.
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

WillIamBurnett

Post by WillIamBurnett »

Thanks for the reply. Do you happen to know of a video? Or pictures?

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Pictures are in the manuals, and for this bike, the manuals are a requirement. Need the OEM service manual, Electrical Troubleshooting Manual and the Supplement.

You can access the air filter without removing the shelter - better if you remove the shelter - looks like you have in your other thread. Have to move the fuse block out of the way. Disconnect the air inlet temp sensor connector and oil crankcase vent hose, then remove the air filter housing top.

Post pics

Good luck
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

WillIamBurnett

Post by WillIamBurnett »

I have the manuals...honestly I'm not sure why I don't look at them. Dumb? Probably, I have been so busy since the world changed that I find it easier to just pick you guys brains. I use to come on here just to read up on information posted. But these days like I said I have been just too busy to even sit down. I do appreciate your help and advice. Since I just bought this bike I had to first fix a charging issue/ faulty rectifier thankfully. I put a half bottle of seafoam in a full tank of fresh gas in it and since riding it about 50 miles it has calmed down to only idling at about 1150-1200 so I'm thinking it may clear itself out🤷‍♂️ I believe I'll give it a couple of tanks of fuel before doing anything to it. Since you guys don't seem to be alarmed by a slightly high idle. I changed the oil in it today, I also put a couple ounces of seafoam in the oil yesterday and ran it until it got nice and warmed up, then let it sit overnight. Warmed it up this afternoon and let her drain. Boy I bet theres no more gunk in the crankcase😳 it all came out! Fired her up after adding 3 qts then put about another half at in her.