85 LTD regulator/ rectifier

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
Perry Burkart
Motorcycle: 1985 gl1200 goldwing LTD

85 LTD regulator/ rectifier

Post by Perry Burkart »

Hello all, I have been combing through the articles on here for a few weeks now learning alot about my new to me 85 LTD.
I seem to have found a plug that has melted and I am pretty sure from my research of wiring diagram in the manual it is the R/R.
My question is this, looking over the different ones for sale online, what is the difference in them besides a price range from $23.00 - $120.00? They all seem to say OEM and none have any info on gauge of wires to compare.
Also in replacing one of these would anyone have any pros or cons as to removing the plugs and just hardwiring it in? I have not seen much negativity on this, but just wanted other opinions. Thanks in advance.

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Re: 85 LTD regulator/ rectifier

Post by AZgl1800 »

you will find a lot of us removing the defective plug(s) and using good techniques, splicing them together, solder the wires, and put shrink wrap over one of the wires before you solder it up. You may have to add in a bit of wire to make them long enough to reach ( or work with )

do NOT use electrical tape :cry: :(
~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Perry Burkart

Post by Perry Burkart »

Thanks for the advise, I was thinking of doing exactly that from your recommendation. Any idea on the standard gauge or the wire? Mine are really bad and would like to cut back damaged area and replace and rerun new wires to get them away from the R/R and into a cooler area if possible?

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Perry Burkart wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:53 am
Hello all, I have been combing through the articles on here for a few weeks now learning alot about my new to me 85 LTD.
I seem to have found a plug that has melted and I am pretty sure from my research of wiring diagram in the manual it is the R/R.
My question is this, looking over the different ones for sale online, what is the difference in them besides a price range from $23.00 - $120.00? They all seem to say OEM and none have any info on gauge of wires to compare.
Also in replacing one of these would anyone have any pros or cons as to removing the plugs and just hardwiring it in? I have not seen much negativity on this, but just wanted other opinions. Thanks in advance.
Welcome and congrats on the '85 Limited Edition, have a soft spot for this model. Highly recommend having the three service manuals, FSM for the 1200, Electrical Troubleshooting manual, and the Supplement. Without these can easily go down the "rabbit" hole.

OEM connectors last a long time. The OEM connector for the Limited stator is still available from Honda. The issue with connectors is cleanliness. If the pin terminals and wire are in good condition, take the connector apart, clean the terminals, replace the connector and reinstall. Will probably out last your riding career. I have done the hard wire - solder issue and have replaced a lot of OEM connectors. It's just as easy to replace the OEM connector as it is to solder wires.

The RR has to handle a minimum of 35 amps. The original is a shunt RR that puts excess power to ground. A newer shunt RR will/should have the newer MOSFET internal electronic components. Some have used the inexpensive RR and had good service. Another option is a series RR. There is the premium one, an SH847 - generally bought from Roadster Cycle, but is large and does need rewiring to suit. The Compufire 55402, another good series RR, but needs additional space as well. Cannot install either of these in the original RR space. The Shindengen SH775 is another alternative. Most aftermarket RRs with the MOSFET technology will require rewiring to fit, different connectors - generally only 5, 3 for the stator, one positive and negative connection. The problem with newer RRs is there is not a lot of space available to install a larger RR. An acquaintance of mine installed an SH847 RR on his '85 Limited Edition and located it on the backside of the right saddlebag. Know this because I sent him the RR and have install pics. Working well for the past 1 1/2 years, and with the original stator.

Pics of the offending connector(s) would be good.

Good luck
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

Perry Burkart

Post by Perry Burkart »

Thank you for the welcome and all the good info. I have two of the manuals you speak of but will surely order the third asap. I have been looking for new connectors or harnesses but haven't had any luck yet other then the complete harness for the bike. I am still learning how to use what key words to find places. So far J &P cycles, Rick's Motorsports and partzilla are what come up whenever I do a parts search.
My harnesses are completely fried on my bike so it would have to be all new replacement. I will post pics. Thanks again to all for the responses.
Attachments

Rednaxs60
2008 GL1800 (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Perry Burkart wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:59 am
Thank you for the welcome and all the good info. I have two of the manuals you speak of but will surely order the third asap. I have been looking for new connectors or harnesses but haven't had any luck yet other then the complete harness for the bike. I am still learning how to use what key words to find places. So far J &P cycles, Rick's Motorsports and partzilla are what come up whenever I do a parts search.
My harnesses are completely fried on my bike so it would have to be all new replacement. I will post pics. Thanks again to all for the responses.
Nice picture. Got some extra wires and ground points:

Best way to rectify this is to take the front fairing off, gives lots of room to work on the wiring. You can replace the wiring, recommend soldering new wire to old then use heat shrink to protect, keeps size of the splice to a minimum.

Find out what the extra wires are for and remove. Take the bike back to the original configuration. The connectors in the pic can easily be replaced with new OEM style connectors. The area around the RR should look more like this:

The RR connectors should be this clean:

How is the stator connector by the left side of the battery?

PM sent

Ernest

Perry Burkart

Post by Perry Burkart »

Great pics, now i am curious as to what the wires may be for. There are led strips and little non functional led lights next to each side cover, but i doubt he put a ground for each strip. everything else seems to be all original though. I will check the plugs this evening next to battery closer. I did locate them , but didn't really inspect them. I will post pics.

Perry Burkart

Post by Perry Burkart »

Earnest, hello again to you sir. Would you happen to have any pics of the install or mounting your friend did on his back right saddle bag? Thanks in advance.

Rednaxs60
2008 GL1800 (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Here's two pics of the series install:

Ernest

Perry Burkart